Thursday, March 08, 2012

Jurong West & Genki Sushi

Hello.

This past Saturday, I went all the way to Jurong West to sample a new dish. It was really a meetup for work, but it didn't really feel like work because I had fun!



In a rare display of good manners, I arrived about 15 minutes earlier than everyone else. I thought to myself: I have all this time. Why not go walk around the neighbourhood and explore a bit? 


So I wandered through the void decks where construction workers were napping peacefully.


Picked my way through a lovely garden in the back of one of the HDB blocks.


Stood for awhile in one spot to take in all the sounds and smells.


Got the biggest shock ever when I came upon this hidden corridor in the back of one of the flats. It was absolutely filled with all sorts of junk in front of people's houses! Wondered if there were twenty people or something squeezed into each of these little units. Perhaps they were workers from China or even students? 


I know you might think it's weird, but my heart stopped when I saw this... thing. It's literally been years since I've seen one of these columns with that slope thingy. Looking at that dirty corner really brought back memories of my childhood. I used to run up and down repeatedly just to amuse myself, or hide in there behind the pipe while playing hide-and-seek. 


My heart stopped again when I saw these letterboxes. Our letter boxes in Bukit Batok used to look like this too, but the flats were upgraded in the recent years and they've now been replaced by newer letterboxes. 

Boy do they look short now. 


The time finally came for us to have lunch and we had chilli crab chicken rice with egg. 

Was it good?

I'll just say that I wanted a second helping and was craving it all weekend afterwards. I wish this place were closer to where I work and live!


Then after lunch, we met Wahwah, the cute chihuahua who belongs to an old ah pek sitting at the coffeeshop. Wahwah is cuter than all chihuahuas I've ever met because he'd be really shy around us humans. But once he saw a pigeon or minah, he'd transform into a vicious doggy and start chasing the birds all around the place! 

I guess that's just something you've gotta see for yourself. We were laughing our heads off for a really long time!



Went to the playground to take some pictures.


Realised that Huiling's shoes kinda matched the floor. 


On Sunday, at House of Bread, we celebrated Alex's and Raymond's birthdays. They're only a day apart. 


Met up with the Davidians afterwards at Peperoni Pizzeria in Binjai Park. 


They really put some effort into decorating the place to feel like a pizzeria from Little Italy in New York. At least that's what it felt like to me. The only thing they're missing is the greased walls haha!


I didn't realise how much I'd been missing New York pizza until I ate Peperoni's pizzas. I mean, I didn't expect it to be that good!

Honestly, when I arrived at dinner, I was feeling really moody and even contemplated not showing up. But once we were all gathered together around a table, I couldn't help but feel better again. Thank God for fellowship and for answering my prayers that I wouldn't be such a loner lol!


On Monday, for lunch at work, I went with my colleagues to Orchard Central because they wanted to eat Quiznos. I really didn't feel like eating subs (they remind me of track meets) so three of us headed to the next door Genki Sushi instead. 


As some of you may have seen on Feecha, I thought Genki Sushi was pretty awesome! The fact that we had to order all our dishes via their app on an iPad was just so amazing to me. I know their food isn't earth-shatteringly great or anything, but as compared to Sakae Sushi, I have more fun eating at Genki sushi instead. 


The other thing that really tickled me was the way our sushi was served to us. In Sakae Sushi, your food goes round and round on a conveyor belt. Who knows how many hours its been out there? And what about the people who pick up plates, open it up, take a whiff, change their minds, then put the plate back on the belt? 

Anyway, at Genki Sushi, your sushi zips straight from the kitchen on a cute toy car or on a cute aeroplane looking plate. It's really fun! First you order the sushi you want. Next, they prepare it in the kitchen and when your order is ready, the little toy car or aeroplane flies down the tracks and stops magically next to your table. 


Cool right?!


After picking up your order, you can then send the aeroplane or car back to the kitchen by pressing that cute button. My only peeve is: why isn't the Genki icon smiling? 

Anyway, it's been a fun-filled week. 

I also managed to meet up with Alicia who is my dad's brother's daughter's daughter. Which really means, that even though Alicia and I are only a few years apart age-wise, I'm technically her aunt by a generation! HAHA!

Last night I went out to Quaich Bar after work with the rest of my colleagues for a little farewell get-together for Vince who is leaving us tomorrow. I'm quite sad actually, even though I've only gotten to know him since late November last year. He's always got an answer about anything IT-related, and he's even brought me his dad's old ah beng Cantonese techno CD to listen to! LOL! I really wish him the best of luck with his new job and everything... 

People just come and go like in our lives it seems. Like waves that surge and ebb over sand, nobody seems to ever stick around forever. There may be some scattered rocks every now and then, those people who stay a little longer than others, but even they don't last forever. 

We don't last forever. 

Well for now, I am going to enjoy what's left of Today. 

It's Friday, but let's not look forward to the weekend; for who knows if Today will be our last day? To presume the weekend is coming would be a little arrogant on our part no?

:) 




No comments: