Monday, July 02, 2012

Corrinne May & Stuff

Hoho! Can't believe I actually slept at 04:30 last night. Blame it on the bubble tea at 02:00... I'm dying to sleep right now but I've got to finish this post. \\

Sadly, all pictures were taken using an iPhone instead because I left my camera at HOB over the week :/ 


Saturday evening was a magical time. I went with Annie and Rodrigo to the newly-opened Gardens By The Bay.


To watch the Corrinne May concert! 

Sadly for me, I've not listened to many of her songs besides her National Day song. Therefore, I went to this concert without any hopes or expectations.


We got to the gardens really early and were greeted by an immense throng of people. Last time I was here, the place was not completed yet and there weren't many people at all. 


Beautiful orchids were planted all around the supertrees.


With more than an hour before the concert began, we went to Cafe Crema to have dinner first. There was quite a queue inside, but we were fortunate to get a table after about ten minutes.


I love going to concerts with them!


Rodrigo ordered this really tasty looking sandwich.


He then proceeded to demonstrate how one could wolf it down with a monstrous bite. Very nice! 


Annie and I both ordered mushroom soup each, and it was THE BEST MUSHROOM SOUP EVER! 

For $8, this is definitely worth it. I've never had so many chewy and juicy mushroom bits in one bowl of soup before. This dish deserves two thumbs up. 


If I knew the soup would be so filling, I wouldn't have ordered this bacon and mushroom aglio olio as well. It tasted just like fried chinese noodles and nothing like pasta at all.


I guess Cafe Crema must have just opened since they've got many lovely flower bouquets lined up outside.


With about forty minutes to go before the concert, we wandered through the supertree grove.


Am I the only one who thinks they look kind of ugly? Ugly but impressive. Very Avatar-like. Still, I wish there were actual centuries old giant rainforest trees instead of these purple poles.


Annie gazing up to take a photo. 




We finally made it to The Meadow. 


I didn't realise it was an open air concert. Fortunately, the organisers provided everyone with plastic ponchos that we could all use to sit on the floor with.


Annie happily snapping away while I lay down on the grass beside her. Was starting to feel quite sleepy by that time.




When Corrinne started singing, I was startled to hear such a lovely sultry voice. Annie wasn't kidding when she said Corrinne sounds like a cello! Though I spent most of the concert lying on the ground with my eyes closed, I was actually listening to every song (except maybe one where I fell asleep for a bit). Her self-written songs are quite meaningful and the audience was even treated to a free show of fireworks from the NDP rehearsals in the background.

Lying there in the cool night breeze, listening to Corrinne sing about God and other things was a beautiful experience that I won't forget for some time.


And of course, how could I not go skating that night? 

While Annie and Rodrigo stayed behind to watch a free movie screening of Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, I rushed home and then to Vivocity with my skates to meet the NUS Skate Club for their annual urban skate night. Though i was never a student at NUS, I self-invited myself once I heard about this event because it sounded like so much fun! Do you know how difficult it is trying to look for skating kakis these days? 

Anyway...

It was only when I got to Vivocity that I realised that they were actually planning to skate from midnight till five in the morning!!!

Five is wayyy too late, even for a chionger like me. Besides, I had to go to House of Bread the next day. I ended up leaving halfway and got home around 02:30. 


_______________________________________________________



Last night, even though I slept so late, the time was still well spent. 

Sat in the bathroom singing some worship songs with my guitar (sound quality is best in there), read some of Eric Liddell's biography and decided to just plain spend some time with God. 

I wonder how God feels sometimes, looking at me shoving and squeezing activities into my calendar instead of being still at His feet. 







No comments: