Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Photo-Taking Hiatus

Four, even three years ago, I was a photo-taking junkie. You'd never catch me anywhere without my camera. Things, people, places... They all get snapped regardless of whether or not they look lovely. Pretty much anything that caught my fancy got caught in my lenses. But today? My trusty little camera sits in some forgotten corner of a drawer. I suppose a few things led to its sad demise. 

Firstly, I got a smartphone back in 2012. Granted, the quality of its photos still can't beat what I was used to on my camera, but then again it was the most convenient thing to use especially in random moments (my favorite kind of photo-taking opportunity).

Secondly, I started getting lazy about organising my photos on the computer. I never really liked the photo app on my Mac that much to begin with, but when the photos REALLY began to pile up, I just sort of gave up on all of them. Photo hoarder. Yep, that's me. I hoard them but I never organise them anymore.

Thirdly, I stopped blogging regularly. And by regularly I meant once a month. Without an online avenue for my thoughts, the interesting photos I took lost a bit of their meaning. Everything in life interests me to a vast degree, but the things that I do take photos of are things that I not only find interesting, but would like to share or remember. So if I'm not recording them somewhere (in terms or organising) or sharing (whether blogging or on Facebook), I kind of just... let those moments go. 

Case in point: four years ago, I took a gadzillion photos at Thanksgiving dinner. This past Thanksgiving? I didn't even bring my camera. I just took a quick darkened one on my phone and I'm even contemplating deleting it because you can't see much from that angle anyway.

But things are going to change. I know they will because baby is on his way and the last thing I want is for my child to grow up without any photographic memories. 

For starters, I'd like to get the digitized photos from my wedding and honeymoon printed. After which, I'll feel a little better about accumulating/hoarding more photos. Also, I'll try to blog more often :)





No comments: