Sunday, December 07, 2014

A Sunday In The West

We hardly hang out in the west side of Singapore. Maybe it's because much of the west is filled with industrial or residential buildings. But on Sunday, we decided to go eat at the McDonald's in West Coast Park.


It has been ages since I've come to West Coast Park for a walk in the day. And by ages, I mean it's been approximately fifteen years! The last time I was here, I was a little kid. I loved the playgrounds here but the park has always been rather bare to my memory.


Today, the playgrounds are still there, if not upgraded and expanded.


There are many more trees planted than I remembered and they've all grown taller. We saw a large community of Filipinos pitching their tents under the generous shade. I think they were having some sort of community celebration. What a great low cost way to hang out together in pricey Singapore!


West Coast Park is bordered by the busy port to the south. 

It was a very sunny day, so all the sheltered benches were already taken up by people. We had no choice but to keep walking. For a park that's only readily accessible by private transport, it was pretty crowded. I don't remember public parks ever being this crowded even on weekends back when I was little. How times have changed!


To the left, we spotted a quiet beach corner which reminded us of the Singapore we knew as children.


Dinner that evening was had at Sushi Tei in West Coast Plaza. I've been having cravings for their sashimi salad with Sushi Tei sauce during the past month of my pregnancy. Originally, I didn't feel too comfortable eating raw fish or salmon/tuna for that matter (because of the supposed higher mercury content). However, my cravings ultimately got the better of me and I caved in :P 

I trust that God will take care of the development of my baby...

To comment on this particular Sushi Tei branch- first I want to highlight that not every Sushi Tei branch in Singapore serves great food. The best ones that I've tried so far are the branches at Raffles City Shopping Centre, Thomson Plaza and Ngee Ann City. Unfortunately, the branch at West Coast Plaza fell far below my expectations. Not only did our food take long to arrive, the salad was disproportionate in its fish-to-veggie ratio. The Thomson Plaza branch has been the most generous and freshest tasting one so far. This is the first and last time we'll be eating at West Coast's Sushi Tei I suppose!





No comments: