Sunday, February 20, 2011

Your Grace Is Enough

I just came home from playing basketball at church this evening. My feet are swollen and my back, legs, arms and neck all feel like old people's body parts. However unlike this summer in Singapore, I managed to actually play through an entire half of a game without dying on the floor (or passing out on the bench later) so I guess that's an improvement.

Anyway, late last night I couldn't stop thinking about what I'd blogged in my previous post. But when I opened my Bible, God had some hard truths for me.

"...we are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts...... God is our witness. We were not looking for praise from men, not from you or anyone else" (1 Thessalonians 2:5-6).

This one's pretty obvious. But to read this verse again in black and white reminded me that to seek one's own glory in any way, fashion or form is vainglory- sinful and dirty in God's eyes.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom" (Ecclesiastes 9:10).

Next time I feel like all my efforts are for nothing, let me remember that the day I die will be the end of any opportunity to run faster, be a better student, daughter, sister, friend.

"...to accept his lot and be happy in his work- this is a gift of God. He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart" (Ecclesiastes 5:19-20).

When read this last verse, I felt in my heart that God was telling me to BE CONTENT. He'd answered my prayers above and beyond what I'd asked for hadn't He? So why am I still grumbling and grouching over useless things?

Not praising God and being glad in Him is an affrontery to all the grace He's given me.

May I never feel like God's grace is inadequate again!


No comments: