Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chinese New Year 2012

I'm sitting in the office now and there's a lion dance going on upstairs. The clashing and banging of the drums are making me so HYPER! I actually haven't seen a single lion dance at all this Chinese New Year (tv doesn't count). 

Sad face.


Last week, there was this gorgeous double rainbow that appeared in the sky after a terrible thunderstorm. Lots of people were talking about it on Feecha, Facebook and Twitter. I happened to be eating dinner when I saw it outside the window. It kinda took my breath away; not only because it was so beautiful, but because I had been getting impatient and mad at God about something just a few minutes before. When I saw the rainbow, I suddenly realised that God was reminding me of His faithfulness. Unlike man, God will never break his promises. 


That night, out of sheer boredom, Shirley and I went to watch Journey 2 and play at the arcade in Cineleisure. 

In case you were wondering, Journey 2 is a horrible movie. 'Nuff said on my end. Go watch it for yourself if you're not convinced!


Had one of the earliest breakfasts ever, at 03:00 in the morning. Can't believe there's Xin Wang Cafe that's still open at that time till 04:00! They have such a great variety of food as well. Can you believe they actually have borscht in the menu? It's actually just Campbell's tomato soup with dribblets of veggies in it. Kinda salty, tastes nothing like real Russian borscht, but I like it!


My rollerblading fever has not subsided. In fact, it's getting worse. On Chinese New Year's Eve, my itching legs dragged me to ECP for a quick blading session.


Thank God for Talia cycling with me that day! We were caught in the thunderstorm and if she hadn't towed me some of the way back, I might not have made it. 


Our house is all decorated for Chinese New Year. New Year's Eve is when the family gathers together for 团圆饭 (reunion dinner) and we eat our hearts out. This year is especially special because it'll be the first time in almost a decade that all of us are together again for reunion dinner.


Nanny is very happy to have her grandsons back in the same country as her :D I assume she's happy I'm back too....... 


Lots of food! 


Sunday was 初一, the first day of the new year. As with our usual custom, we went to Nanny's house in the morning bearing oranges.


During Chinese New Year, we're supposed to wear new clothes. I got my dress at Warehouse for a mere $40 back during Christmas. It used to cost $109! So glad that I bought it beforehand. I wasn't about to enter the crazy pre-CNY shopping crowd in town just to wait 15 minutes for a changing room!


Every dish here is significant. For example, the green veggies are called 大菜 (read as "da cai"). It sounds like "big fortune"- so that's why we're eating it. We're eating "big fortune" haha!


Don't you think their outfits are soooo cute?!


Got to eat some of my favourite candies while visiting relatives. I haven't eaten these for years!


Think we went to a total of four places before 17:00 on Sunday. 


By the end of the day, the boys had collected a nice bundle of 红包 (red packets). 


初二 (second day of CNY) seemed to arrive in a blink of an eye. I spent the day with my paternal side of the family. Felt like a bloated pig for the most part of the day. Bleh!


At least the late afternoon ended on a more relaxing note. I got to hang out a bit with my sister :)


My 收获 (loot) at the end of two days of visiting and dining. 

Now I'm tired. 


1 comment:

tetyana said...

awww this is sooo cute! and makes me miss singapore sooooooo much! i can't wait to visit again, ughhh... it looks like your life is just a big vacation that never ends..glad to see you're having so much fun!