Thursday, January 12, 2012

Life & Running

Life's picked up again right after the new year started. I've been going out a bit more, doing random stuff.


I did some geocaching at night. 


Some reading and rolling in bed during the day.


Finally met up with Lizzie after her return from the UK.


We ate at Sun With Moon, this Japanese restaurant in Wheelock Place. I've been eating here almost every week because I have $50 worth of coupons to spend there, haha! 


I usually end up ordering the same thing- ramen ramen ramen. Their tonkatsu (pork) ramen is really good, but so is their Hokkaido ramen. Apparently the Hokkaido ramen's stock is heavier than the tonkatsu stock, but I don't know much about that; I haven't actually made an effort to compare the two different stocks. 


Lizzie's hotpot looked good too. 


Last Saturday I walked from Orchard to Dhoby Ghaut with Rachel. 


Wandered to Orchard Central, where I got the impression that it is the new Heeren. I think pretty much all the cool shops from Heeren have moved out and into Orchard Central's upper floors. 


Some shop spaces are still empty.


Others are already operating.


Many sell quirky stuff that's only useful for one thing: gifts for other people. 


I came across a canal with fish in it! *Puts my fishing cap on....* There were so many, and they looked big too! 


Hidden away in Istana Park is this place called Art Palate Cafe. It's really cool! There's a breezy eating area near the front entrance where you can have tea and some food.


The entire little building seems to be made of glass and wood. The place feels airy and carefree. Surprisingly, there's no greenhouse effect even with the hot Singaporean sun shining through the roof. 


On the upper floor, there are people painting and relaxing.


View from the second floor down. 


Singapore's been enjoying some really nice weather actually, despite it being the rainy season.


On Sunday, I treated my family to dinner. Guess it's a tradition of some sort for the kid to treat her parents to dinner out of her first pay cheque. Though it's not my first actual proper pay cheque, it somehow feels appropriate because this is like my first legit job in Singapore. 


Wasabi octopus appetizer.

I took them to Nirai Kanai Okinawan Diner in Tanglin Shopping Center because the restaurant is closing down on January 15th (that's in three days!) It's really a shame because the food here is really good and the chefs and all the staff are straight from Okinawa, Japan. They're closing down because the chefs are moving back to Okinawa. 

I wanted to let my parents eat here at least once before the place closes. There will still be another branch left in Liang Court but I don't think the chefs there are from Okinawa.


Needless to say, the night ended well. It feels great to finally be on the treating end of the dinner. I think my dad enjoys not having to foot the bill for once, haha! 

That's my past week in a nutshell. 

On a different note, I still haven't been running regularly. In fact, I haven't run at all this week. I rollerbladed, but it's not as effective as running. As a result, I can feel all this tension building up inside of me. It needs to be released through a good hour's run, but I just can't seem to get up early enough these days! I think it's because I've been sleeping around 01:00. I need about 7 hours of sleep to tide me over. Anything less and my ears will refuse to hear the alarm clock in the morning. 

I feel so pissed at myself for that. 

It's already been 12 days into 2012 and still can't do one straight week of running? Where did all my discipline go? I feel like I shouldn't even call myself a runner anymore. I cannot believe that I used to run twice a day and gym every single evening (plus swimming twice a week). Looking back at all that, it seems so impossible. 

And I know I'm not getting any younger. I see my friends who are in their thirties getting tired easily- and I think to myself: Am I gonna be like that in just a few short years? 

NO! I REFUSE! 

Before I let my brain and body turn to mush, I must absolutely make the most of every single year I've got! I must use up every ounce of energy that comes with being young, single and in my twenties! 

I MUST RUN MY HEART OUT EVERYDAY UNTIL THE DAY I DIE!

Dear God, every good gift comes from You. I thank you for healthy legs and lungs. Thank you for reminding me that in not using a gift, I am thwarting the desire of the gifter. Help me to utilise all my gifts and blessings to my full potential, so as to give You all the glory! In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. 


No comments: