Friday, May 09, 2014

Once In A Lifetime Photoshoot

Photos have always been very important to me. Ever since I was 14, I rarely go out without bringing my camera. Along with important occasions, the mundane doesn't go unrecorded by me.

But our wedding photoshoot was not going to be a mundane one for sure!

I knew we had this one chance to write our story in photos and I wanted them to be beautiful. So, not wanting to take any wild chances, I decided that we should have our photos taken with a tried and tested wedding studio.

Naturally, Sophia Wedding was the first choice since my Xiao yee (little aunt), Ah Ghim (aunt-in-law) and mom had their photos taken there. I really really liked my Xiao yee's wedding photos. Even though their shoot was almost 10 years ago, recent online reviews still tout them to be one of the best in their industry.

Hebe, our coordinator spoke with us on the day that we went down to Sophia's. She was very friendly and accommodating, and put many of my fears to rest. Living in Singapore these few years, I'd almost forgotten what good customer service felt like. Hebe was like a breath of fresh air! She kept the tea on our table flowing, showed us album samples and patiently listened to our concerns without showing any sign of dissatisfaction. Most importantly, I really felt like she understood exactly what I wanted.

Even though our booking was rushed (we had a month or so to our wedding date), she was able to give us a slot and I even managed to choose my dresses on the very same day. 

I won't share my exact package details because I understand that each couple has very different requirements for their package, but I will say that we got a great deal given the experience and professionalism of the people working there. The total amount we're spending on each photograph is approximately $82 (Singapore dollars). 

I know all of you in the States are probably balking at this amount... Well, that's what you get for living in the most expensive city in the world!

I did look up some individual photographers who are not attached to studios. They were charging a minimum of $1,000 for a whole day outdoor shoot, as well as another $1,000 for an indoor shoot. This is not yet including makeup ($400 for both shooting sessions), dresses (approximately $2,000 for a wedding dress, cheongsam and evening dress) and other things like renting of the suits, editing and printing of albums and large photos.

I figured that with all the hassle that would go into having to look for the photographer, makeup artist and everything else separately, I'd rather just settle everything with one studio instead. I would not be saving money by going outside anyway.

April 24th was the day we scheduled our indoor and outdoor shoots.


Our outdoor shots were taken at East Coast Park and The Orchard Residences. The photographers were Arsen and Jensen. 


Sadly, the first photoshoot did not yield the kind of "feel" that I wanted for our photos.

I wanted photos that were classic, romantic and warm. Instead, we got the above.

After a long night talking with Hebe at Sophia Wedding, they finally decided to let us reshoot the entire thing to our liking for free!


For the next and final shoot, we had Ryan and Carvin shoot for us instead. I'd looked through Sophia Wedding's Facebook page before and realised that Ryan's style was much closer to what I was looking for. 


This time, we went outdoors (still East Coast Park and The Orchard Residences) to shoot first before going indoors.


These photos are all taken by my Ah yee (big aunt) on my camera. 


She and my Ah ghim were the ones helping us that day. I am so grateful to them, because without their help doing little things like carrying our bags around and buying bubble tea, I doubt we would have had the time and energy to pose for so many wonderful shots.

Of course, I am grateful to my mom and Xiao yee too for helping us in the same way with the first photoshoot... It's a shame that it didn't go well!


Knowing that there was a specific look we were going for, Ryan took the initiative to double check each iconic shot with us. If there was something we didn't like or if we had any ideas, Ryan and Carvin would hop on it and try what they could to give us our dream shots.


Our poses felt more natural that day, even though we were tired and sweating buckets.




At one point, Ryan even got into the pool for the right angle! I was actually kind of worried for his camera...


My family supporting us on the side.


And of course the cheeky duo...




Max was really cute, insisting on helping his big sis with anything he could! I eventually gave him the very simple task of just helping me carry my train, which he felt very much obliged to do. 


We were soooo pooped by the time the outdoor shoot was over! It took us approximately six hours... 


Back in the studio for makeup round two.

Our makeup artist, Candy, had been waiting in the studio for all those six hours ever since we left. Earlier that morning, she arrived promptly at 6am just to do my makeup! I am so amazed at her work ethic and skill. Being in the business for over 10 years now, her makeup skills are not only way above average- she's also ahead of the trend and able to give me that "natural Korean" look that is so popular these days.

To be honest, I was concerned whether the makeup artist would be able to work with a tan Asian skin tone like mine. Many tan Asians that I know always seem to end up with fake-looking skin makeup! You know, the ones where the face is ten shades lighter than the rest of the body?

Well, mine was not like that at all. 

Candy did a really really fantastic job. I'm thoroughly impressed!



As for Mister Jerry... He had some trouble tying his tie, so I volunteered to retie it for him.


It took me about four tries to get the right length.


But being SUCH a man, he goes ahead and unties my perfect handiwork, only to spend the next fifteen minutes trying to tie it to his liking.

Grrr... 


It was truly one of the most exhausting days of my life... Jerry even fell asleep briefly on the couch while I was getting my hair and makeup touched up.



But looking at the results makes it all worthwhile...

:)






No comments: