Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Weekend In Review

It seems like more and more of my blog posts are just turning into reviews of what I did over the weekend. I suppose that makes sense since I'm working all day during the week anyway. After work, I don't do much besides skating. 


Well last Monday I went with Chen (colleague) to meet up with a prolific user of our app- PG. It was the first time we'd met him offline and I must say, he's not much different from what I thought he'd be like. I could even recognise him off his profile picture! 


We had ramen at a restaurant in Cuppage Plaza that I'd never eaten at before. The restaurant, Gyoza Na Ohsho, is an informal little place on the first floor with a nice selection of ramens cooked by Japanese chefs (served by filippinos). I ordered chili ramen and it cost $12. All the basic ramens cost $12 while the more special ones (I assume they're more special) cost $15. 

Overall I thought this place was pretty good. Cuppage Plaza has a lot of hidden gems I suppose... Gotta explore this area more!


So I've been rollerblading almost every night. Nothing new, I know.


One of my favourite places to skate to when I'm alone is the East Bay Gardens overlooking the Singapore Flyer. It's next to East Coast Park and there is a path that you can take over a bridge towards Marina Barrage.


The reason why I love this place is because it's usually devoid of noisy people. The couples who do come here for "pa tor" are very unassuming in their dark corner benches- leaving me virtually whole peaceful waterfront to myself.  


Tuesday night, the moon was gigantic.


It's so nice to find a place in Singapore that is not crowded (like ECP) yet well-lit enough to feel safe.


Not to mention, the views across the river are quite stunning. 


Can't believe how much the Marina Bay area has transformed in slightly less than a decade.


 All this "wildlife" that's here right now, wasn't here too long ago...


That Tuesday night, my dad and I went on a totally impromptu trip into Johor Bahru, Malaysia for supper. He drove me home from East Bay Gardens to grab my passport before we zoomed over the Woodlands Causeway towards yummy and cheap food.


Went to a street vendor for wanton mee.


Papa decided to try the BBQ grease truck parked on the side.


You get to pick whatever you want before they barbecue it for you. Most of the skewers were seafood skewers.


Even though it was almost midnight, the tables and chairs were mostly filled with Singaporeans. All the cars parked along the side of the road were Singaporean cars as well! 





I don't blame Singaporeans for wanting to eat here though. Look at how much our food costs. And keep in mind that this is in Malaysian ringgit! Divide the amount by 2 for a rough estimate of how much all this costs in Singapore dollars, or divide by 4 for a rough estimate in US dollars.


My dad and I each got a plate of wanton mee.


This bowl of wantons in soup came with it as well.


Our BBQ skewers were amazing.


Everything was dipped in a kind of soy sauce mix which gave it just the right level of saltiness.


Soft shell crabs on a stick. Ate the thing whole.


Love the old school chopsticks.


After getting gas in Malaysia (which is half the price in Singapore), we went back home. I went to sleep about 01:00 that Wednesday morning.


The rest of the week went by like a blur and by the time Saturday arrived, I didn't want to do anything else by relax.


The weather was perfect that afternoon.


The boys had a lot of fun in the pool.


At about 14:30, we started getting ready to go to ECP for their rolerblading lessons. 

I really wanted to skate, but my entire body was aching severely from rollerblading about 40km on Friday night. It was insane! 


Nevertheless, my addiction to skating couldn't keep me from going to ECP where I met this lovely cat.


In the daytime, Xtreme Skate Park is overrun with young kids. And when I say young, I mean anywhere from four to fourteen. Some of the real "pros" in the skate park happen to be plucky seven year olds who don't seem to get the concept of pain or gravity. 

Man, this place makes me feel old...


After some time in the skate park, I wandered off towards the water. Thankfully, the weather was slightly cloudy and breezy. Still, I was sweating like a pig (random thought: do pigs even sweat?).


There was some windsurfing thing going on by Castle Beach.

ECP is always a blast when it's nice out on the weekends!


On Sunday, I cooked borscht for my friends at House of Bread. It's the first time I'd cooked borscht since I came back to Singapore and it turned out quite alright. 

I've never been to Russia, but sometimes I feel like I miss it haha!


After House of Bread, we went to Dave and Sarah's place for a farewell BBQ for them. Dave and Sarah aren't regulars at House of Bread anymore, but I see them at the baptisms and other meetings. They're Americans who are teaching in Singapore, but now they're going back to Virginia. Though I haven't known them for a long time, I've grown to appreciate their presence as shining examples of Christians.

Quite sad to know they're leaving actually... So soon before I've even got to hang out with them more.

Welp, people come and go in this life. But in heaven, we'll be together for all eternity! =)





1 comment:

tetyana said...

So cool that you can just go to Malaysia for dinner... wish i was there! The photos of SG look amazing, and i realllyyy miss it! :( ps borsch looks good :D