Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Our Father In Heaven


Enkoosh is leaving for Hong Kong today. He's been visiting his sister who lives here in Singapore for three weeks and now he's off to visit the other sister who lives in Hong Kong. During his few weeks here, Enkoosh has been coming to church with me and just asking a lot of questions about God and stuff. 

I'm really amazed at the lengths God will go to guide us lovingly towards Him. Who would've known a year ago when we were both in college all the way in the U.S., being regular acquaintances with mutual friends, that we'd be meeting again all the way across 12 time zones, talking about God together in a tropical country? 

These few weeks just served as a reminder to me that life after all is unpredictable. I may feel secure right now in my home and with my job, but who knows where I'll be this time next time or the year after next? There is no way of knowing... But one thing is for sure- the God in whom we love will never leave nor forsake us, as long as we trust and obey Him. 


Trust and obey... It sounds so easy on paper, but when you're in the moment and actually have to exercise faith, it's a whole different ballgame. 

I've been struggling with some internal issues recently- mostly about family. 

Sometimes, I just get tired of explaining my family situation to people you know? Two parents, two step-parents, three step-brothers and one step-sister. Common reaction: Huh, Whattttt? I don't understand, explain again...

So I'll explain once again.

And I cringe each time I say "step"- mainly because I never regarded my step-siblings as steps. I've always considered them as my own brothers and sisters. However, I know that feeling is not mutual, but it's alright. 

Most of my friends have intact families, or at least biological parents who live together. I think it's hard for them to understand sometimes, how it feels to never have an intact family unit. Sure, my biological parents and stepparents meet together for dinner all the time. Both families are totally fine around each other. There is no mention of the past nor fear of the future. 

But me?


Most times I feel like I'm on my own island. I've got to get it together myself and I've got to look after myself because no one else is gonna do it for me. 

My mom is off on another island busying herself with her family and my dad is also off on another island busying himself with his family. Occasionally, one of them crosses the little bridge in between to check out how things are on my island, but no one ever seems to want to stay for long. 

I built my own cities and planted my own gardens, but you could say it's a wreck. 

I guess that's why the sentiment of God, Abba Father, resonates so much more with me. I've never had true parents nor have I ever had a true friend, until I met Jesus Christ. 

I hope that whoever reads this and is feeling the same way can find the same hope and satisfying joy that I've found in Jesus as well. He will never, ever, ever not listen. He will never ever not care. He will never ever not have the time or be unreasonable. He is consistent in all His ways and thoughts and He never seeks to harm us. Indeed, even though our earthly parents may fail, our Heavenly Father never will. 




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may not totally understand that feeling of having 2 separate families but I do have an inkling of how it'd be like as a child who had to take care of oneself because the parents were handling their own families.. It's really great you're a Christian now and it gives you comfort. :)

- Alison

tetyana said...

i totally get it...and be careful about wanted an "intact" family... mine's technically in tact, right? living under one roof, but so, so far from being family or in tact. sometimes i wish they had their own families, but i also don't know how that feels... and you're right about finding the one true Father...our worldly fathers can never compare.

Mindy said...

Thanks for the kind thoughts Alison :)

Tanya- I think that's exactly it. Having an "intact" family and yet, it's like they had their own families.

Oh welps!