Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Daily Struggle With Temptation





When Jesus was tempted for forty days in the wilderness, he said this:

"It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4)

And in the Lord's prayer, we ask God to "give us this day our daily bread".


These days, I'm feeling more and more like Elijah, who hid from Jezebel in a ravine. Because of the drought and famine, he had to be fed by ravens sent by God daily. Imagine having to wait for your food to appear out from the sky, brought to you by mere birds! Hungry, alone and cold. Elijah probably had to struggle on a day to day basis with trusting God.

This morning, Ann wrote me a message regarding my current spiritual battle. One thing she said really resounded with me. She said that "this is more a question about your trust in Him to meet your needs than just about this..."

Why is it so difficult to let go even though I know that there are a pair of Almighty arms to catch me and lift me up?

I liken it to skating at the skate park. It's like, I know that my body reflexes can handle the drop. I know that I have safety guards and everything on. There's nothing that could go wrong unless I chicken out during the drop. But still, I feel my heart pounding hard with fear each time I approach the edge of the 15 feet high bowl.

Dear Lord Jesus, I know that Your plans for me are to prosper me and not to harm me. Plans to give me a hope and a future. Help me to embrace Your plans wholly. Help me to trust in Your provision and grace. Give me each day my daily bread so that I won't faint. I know You will see me through this valley!









No comments: