Thursday, October 04, 2012

Christian Perspective Of The Presidential Debate 2012

Wow, I got on Facebook this morning and my newsfeed was literally on FIRE about the American 2012 presidential debate!

Here's the full debate for those of you who missed it:



You know I was going to blog about something else, but that will just have to wait until later, because I have a million thoughts that I've been holding back and I need to vomit them on here!

First of all, it really doesn't matter who made a better argument or who had a nicer tie. It matters even less what everyone thinks about who has the better policy and who they'll be voting for. 

Two simple reasons;

1) Neither of them can accurately predict the future 

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand" (Proverbs 19:21)

2) God is the one who ultimately decides who should be in government 

"Let everyone be subject to their governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God" (Romans 13:1)

I'll try to keep this short and simple. 

Essentially, it doesn't matter what Romney or Obama thinks is the best way to run the country because there are just too many factors that they can't control. There's just too much information and knowledge that they lack.They could talk about all the reforms or policies they want, but who knows what will happen in the future? There may be a devastating hurricane along the entire east coast next year, or some country may decide to declare war against America. Perhaps someone will come up with an extraordinary new invention that will forever change the American economy (think cars, railways, computers, etc.) Maybe one of them will die tomorrow from a heart attack, then what? 

I'm not actually wishing these things upon the nation. I'm just trying to show here how ridiculous this whole debate and our views on politics are. 

It's so naive to think that each candidate can actually steer the nation's direction like they can steer a bike. Besides, even if you can steer a bike and you're wearing a helmet and obeying all the safety rules, you can't ensure that some random drunk driver on the road won't swing into you. 

See, no matter who you vote for or support, you can't actually know for a fact that they will actually succeed in their plans until the time comes. They don't even know it themselves! 

And that is why we are urged, in 1 Timothy 1:1-2 to pray for those in authority, because God is the only person that we CAN be sure of. 

God is the best, and the only candidate fit to run any country!

He never sleeps, he sees all things, he's ever-present, he's in full control, and best of all, he actually cares for each and every single person's well-being.






"Indeed, He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep" (Psalm 121:4)

"From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind" (Psalm 33:13)

"I form the light and create darkness, I create prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things" (Isaiah 45:7)

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future" (Jeremiah 29:11)

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28) 






Imagine that! Aren't we lucky to have such a God to be in full control of our lives and our universe?

I feel the same way about Singaporean elections. 

Chen asked me today who I would vote for- Obama or Romney. I said I would blindfold myself, pick a random straw then throw it into the basket without looking at it. 

It's not a very responsible way of voting, but I believe that the true power of a Christian voter lies behind closed doors, knees to the floor. There is nothing more influential than a Daniel praying to the Almighty each day or a Moses trusting and following God's instructions. Even in his heyday, as possibly the most powerful man on earth, the Egyptian Pharaoh was taken down by a man of faith. What more an Obama, Putin or Lee Kuan Yew! 

Again, not that I necessarily want them taken down... But you get my point.

If you truly want to make your vote count, pray. Pray pray pray for those in authority, that God will grant them wisdom and discernment in all matters, that they will fear God and shun evil.






No comments: