Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Chinese New Year 2013

I really don't feel like blogging, but I just don't want to give all this up without a fight! My blog is the only thing that hasn't died on me along with all my photos in the past 6 years, so I think it's worth sustaining... 

Anyway, there's simply too much to catch up on over the past two months, so I'll just be sharing a bit of what I've been up to in the past few days instead. 

Chinese New Year really started on Saturday.


Mom's side of the family went to The Line at Shangri-La hotel for an unorthodox reunion lunch. This is the first time in my life that we've had a reunion LUNCH instead of dinner, and at an outside place too. 


We sat outdoors next to the pool. Nice ambience and all, but the buffet was far too crowded. There was a long queue getting in to the restaurant even when we had all made reservations, as well as another long queue at the oyster and sushi stations. 

No wonder it's called "The Line". 

Huahuahua... 


Sigh.

Being around young cousins makes me wish I were still in primary school or something. 


My desserts were the only thing I remembered to take a lousy photo of, and I didn't even like them that much...


That evening, we all met again at my aunt's house where we just ate more food and had a lo hei. Uncle Rick made delicious quesadillas that night. I think I had about 5? 


On the first morning of the new year, we went to my grandma's as we usually do. 


This year's fare was slightly different from last year's, but still delicious nonetheless. The roast pork and bamboo shoots were my favourite.


I had my nails painted bright pink for the festivities. Was hoping that they would make up for my first day's outfit being black and white.


Celebrated Ah ma's birthday on the second day of the new year. 

She turns 92 this year, which means that she's really 93 according to the Chinese calendar. Ah ma doesn't know her actual birthdate. All she knows is that she was born on 初二,so on the second day of CNY each year, we will celebrate her birthday. Can you imagine not knowing the exact date of your birthday?

Come to think of it, my maternal grandma doesn't know her actual birthdate either, so she just picked a date that she liked and we celebrate her birthday on that date each year. 


Chanced upon a random lion dance in Chancery Court's Cold Storage that afternoon. 

I was really happy because I did not get to catch one last year!


Finally got to sing at K Box with Shirley and Edwin. Thanks for the good times!


Yesterday morning, I went to Pulau Tekong to send my brother off on his epic journey to adulthood. 

Now that he's 18, it's time for him to enter the army and serve two years in what we call National Service, also known as NS. 


He had his head shaved the day before. Makes him look bigger sized now that his head looks smaller sized LOL


After a really long tour around the premises, it was time to say goodbye. I couldn't help but feel a weird mix of pride, sadness, curiosity and anticipation as we watched them file away. Pride because he's a big boy now, no longer the 8 year old I remember running around the house with. Sadness because I won't get to see him for a bit. Curiosity because I am just dying to know what are they going to do all day today, tomorrow, the day after, etc. etc. etc.! And lastly, anticipation because I can't wait to see him at his graduation parade, fully dressed in his army wear!

Sigh... 

These few days really made me feel old. 

From the ever-shrinking pile of angpow money (it gets lesser every year that I grow older), to the harmless prodding about my relationship status (23 and single? Why no babies yet??!!), to sending my bro off to the army. It just seems to augment the sense of time flying past at the speed of light. 

I wonder what the rest of this year will hold?

A new hobby? Gahhh I hope not.... I have enough hobbies as it is and no time for another one!


Well, think I better go to bed now that it's 06:21 in the morning. Fingers crossed for another blog post soon :)











No comments: