Monday, April 29, 2013

Noryangjin Fish Market


Every morning, my family would walk down to the SCT Mall to have breakfast at Paris Baguette. Sometimes I joined them, sometimes I didn't.


When I did join them however, it's always great fun with Alex and Max around. 


On one of the mornings, we met another Singaporean family there. My mom hit it off with them fairly well.


After breakfast, we took the subway from Seoul Station to Noryangjin Station.


Noryangjin Station really reminded me of the North Wales train station in Pennsylvania.


There were many old people loitering around the area. 


We had to cross an overhead bridge to the fish market.


Peering down from a ledge, we get our first glimpse of the market.


There is live seafood of every kind, including baby octopuses.


The boys seemed to find it all really interesting.


There was so much variety, my mouth started to water. I didn't even know what I wanted to eat!


Will you check out those monstrous prawns/shrimp?!! 

Gosh, they'd be so good on a barbecue right now.


The inside of Noryangjin fish market wasn't anything out of the ordinary. It was just like any other wet market around the world. The nice thing about this market though, as compared to the wet markets in Singapore, is that it gets cold during fall, winter and spring. That means, it smells nicer. 


Wonder how much sashimi would that giant octopus tentacle render...


Probably enough sashimi for ten persons?


Ahh a bunch of ahjummas huddling by a stove, cooking seafood stew. 


Here's us filching a bit of heat from someone's coal bucket.


I'm not sure if all that blood was meant to look appetising.


Seoul, being the tech-savvy city that it is, has its senior citizens enthralled by handheld devices even at work.


Love that the ahjummas usually look classy even while doing "dirty" work. Check out her pearl earrings, makeup and all. I think it's probably easier for them too since the weather isn't as humid as in Singapore. Your makeup won't be running down the sweaty sides of your neck in an hour.


A fish's nightmare.


At Noryangjin, the norm is to buy your seafood at a stall downstairs, then bring them upstairs to a restaurant where they will cook it for you.


My mom chose this solefish for Max. It cost about 13,000 won if I'm not wrong.

I had a feeling that it would be cheaper if we weren't tourists :/


The prawns were big, but nothing special. They were simply sprinkled with salt and then grilled. 

We had other food as well, including a mackerel stew, but I neglected to take a photo of it.


Their favourite Korean man on a poster right outside the restaurant.  












No comments: