Thursday, May 02, 2013

Lazy Saturday At Kampong Bahru & Sembawang


A few Saturdays ago, Hani and I went to check out this cafe called Stranger's Reunion along Kampong Bahru.

Yeseul told me about this cafe which she wanted to try, but can't because she's in Seoul now. 


We finally arrived along Kampong Bahru after getting lost in the maze of exits at Outram MRT.


The air was so hot, I was melting under my umbrella. 


Walked down a lovely corridor towards our destination.


And we made it!


It's too bad that I'm not a coffee drinker. Reading this sign actually kind of made me feel like I came to the wrong place.


Going to Stranger's Reunion on a Saturday afternoon was an entirely bad idea... 

The small cafe was filled to the brim and Hani and I weren't thrilled with the idea of having to share a small coffee table with two other people, especially since the table and chairs were really low, making for an uncomfortable seat.


Quietly, we escaped into the back alley. 


It was like a secret world back there. 


After some wandering around, we finally decided on the first cafe we had spotted on the way in.

It looked relatively empty, which made me suspicious. Still, the promise of air-conditioning proved more enticing than the idea of walking around for another fifteen minutes.


Yes! An empty cafe!

We found out later that the reason for OKP being so empty as compared to Stranger's Reunion, is that the place just opened for business in February.


Much of their lunch menu is already pre-made, so we weren't able to get any food "fresh" from the kitchen.


Cafe by day, bar by night.


Hani ordered a salmon omelette sandwich. She said it wasn't bad.


My interesting concoction of clam chowder, tomato and corn soup arrived in a a paper cup. 

It was actually a lot more delicious than I expected. The tomato soup goes well with clam chowder. Idea for home cooked meals!


I ordered a chorizo omelette sandwich and it was an utter letdown. I don't know how you can actually mess up an omelette, but they did. It was overcooked in the way my 7 year old brother would overcook an omelette on his second try.


From Kampong Bahru, we cabbed to one my favourite corners in Singapore.

It's my favourite because the area is very secluded and therefore accessible only on wheels or an untiring pair of legs.


Saw this interesting table inside the bar. I thought it looked really familiar. Then I realised they're the same ones we used in D&T classes!

Soooo hipster it's ridiculous.


Handlebar is called Handlebar, because it's themed as a bar for motorbike riders/lovers. It's usually frequented by foreigners who love this sort of thing.


We sat under one of the big shelters outside.


Handlebar sits right on the edge of Singapore. Sometimes my phone connection gets a bit wonky since Malaysia is right on the opposite side.


Next to Handlebar is the Sembawang PCN. 

You'll find Chinese and Thai people clamming here when the tide is low.


I can't believe Hani and I actually walked the entire PCN back to civilisation. Under normal circumstances, it would have taken me about fifteen minutes to skate out to the main road.


Thankfully, the sun was already setting as we made our way out along the canal.


I had a beautiful time. Won't mind repeating this again someday!









No comments: