Saturday, August 08, 2009

Sunset Love

I haven't seen my camera in about three days now. I wonder where it is...

I really wished that I had it with me today as I sat on the jetty watching the sunset. For some reason, it has been really chilly all day today, with temperatures feeling almost like autumn weather. Yet despite the cold, the beach was swarming with families and couples who had turned up to witness the sun slipping under the horizon.

And this is when a picture would be a great help to describe the kind of euphoria I felt as the sky turned from light blue to light pink, to bright orange, burnt yellow, pink, blue then purple... As I sat on the rocks with the waves at my feet and my hands tucked snugly into my sweatshirt pocket, I couldn't help but remember again, that the best things in life really are for free.

The sunset was short and sweet and I was sorry to leave. I had never before seen such an intense contrast of colours over the ocean. Against an intense orange sky was the black outline of the jetty and people strolling along the dark blue water's edge. In the distance you could see little boats coming back into the harbour. Houses along the shore twinkled as people turned on the lights. The low tide meant that pools of water in the exposed stretch of sand caught and reflected the rainbow of colours in the sky. It was altogether calming and breathtaking at the same time. Having good music in my ear totalled the effect.

I hope I dream about the clear water tonight...

No comments: