Friday, April 08, 2011

Finally An Awesome Day

After handing in my paper yesterday morning, I finally felt as if a heavy weight has been lifted off my head. It's not the last paper of the semester, but it's the last paper that's been due one after another.

Although the weather outside was cold, cloudy and rainy, it was as if the clouds had begun to part inside my head and the sunlight was shining through.

The latter part of the school day passed just magnificently as I was inducted into the English Honours Society. I kind of regret now not joining the Economics Honours Society for certain reasons at the time, but hey at least I got this one on my resume.

At the induction ceremony, they had invited an SPC alumni who graduated as an English major to come speak to us about her time here. As a successful lawyer and writer, she said that she has no regrets about coming to this school because even though it's small and relatively unknown, her time here gave her the confidence that nobody else from all the Ivy Leagues had when she worked on Wall Street.

After giving it some thought, I realised that God had after all placed me in the best school– even better than any other school I could have picked for myself.

During my time here, despite all the things I complain about, I've been given the freedom to motivate myself in ways I never might've been given had I studied elsewhere. When the SPC alumni mentioned how she truly was able to just blossom confidently here, I realised that it was exactly how my time here has been.

Not only that, but I've had the benefit of having a few professors who, like the other teachers that have been stationed throughout my life, were genuinely interested in my development as a student and a person. When I was down, they encouraged me. When I was despondent, they gave me hope. They did not teach me in conventional ways but rather understood that what I needed wasn't so much a teacher but rather something else... that has no title.

I talk to friends who have gone to bigger, better, more prestigious universities and realise that I would never have had such professors had I followed in their footsteps.

How mysterious are God's ways...

Anyway, after an awesome day at practice and a bout of basketball yesterday afternoon, I ended up going with a whole bunch of friends to the nearby Kean University to play dodgeball.

It was a lot of fun! But because I've only had about two hours of sleep for the past two days in a row, I was starting to droop off to sleep on the floor.

Afterwards we went to a diner for some late night nourishment.

Trackies!

By the time my pancakes arrived (these are my friend's pancakes by the way... haha), my mind was so lost up in a dreamy alternate reality. I got home around midnight, thanked God sincerely for this awesome stress-free day and sank into my bed.

Finally, for the first time in I forget how long, I got to sleep in- and I did. For almost twelve hours straight!

I have more papers coming up next week, but I know now the worst is over. Yet at the same time, I'm also aware of how fast graduation is creeping up on me. Although school is stressful and all, I can't help but think about how much I will miss it when I leave. So no matter how much homework I get or how tired I get at track practice, I am going to give it my all and just enjoy every moment, whether good or bad, that God has given to me.

On another note, about my roommate situation, we haven't really bumped into each other since the last meeting. However when I come home and I see one of them here, I will say hi to her and she usually smiles back and says hello in return. I'd say all in all, things are good on my end. I feel that much stronger after God has brought me through that fire.

I feel like singing...

On His wings, on His shoulders
I stand and rejoice!


2 comments:

Tetyana said...

yeyyy!! sooo happy for you :) :) and i miss you, can we hang out soon?

Mindy said...

Hopefully!