Saturday, July 11, 2009

And On The Seventh Day...

So this is what it feels like to work six days a week on minimum wage for 12 hours straight everyday!

Talk about engaging in character-building activities over the summer..

After an exhausting day of forcing myself to smile at vile spoiled children, picking up after their hurricane leftover trail of toys, chasing after an 8 month old who just learnt to crawl, I realised that I enjoy my job now even more than ever.

Yes, everything about it sucks so much that I have to fight the temptation to curse in Russian (and I failed a few times). But at the end of the day, when the children fall into sweet tempers and the adults make me feel indispensible, it makes every misery seem so small and far away.

Then of course the alarm clock rings at 0645 the next morning and I have to pray fervently for His support again.

Thank God for the one precious hour I have each day to run just before the sun sets. Thank God for all the pine trees around here that smell just like Washington State. And also thank you so much, God, for the ten extra dollars that I earned this week for the extra 20 hours that I put in. It seems so little but it meant a lot. Thank God for the moon over Cape Cod Bay, for Tanya and Vitaly on the phone, for protection, love, mercy, hydrangeas (seriously, almost every house around here has at least one bush! Now I know whose soil is super alkaline and whose is acidic!), church fairs in the morning, clam chowder, colonial houses, health, wealth and peace...

I can't believe life gets better when it's harder.

It doesn't make any sense!

No comments: