Sunday, July 12, 2009

Thinking About The Future

Like one of the many young adults nowadays, I'm completely clueless as to what to do with the rest of my life. Actually, most people would already have some sort of clue as to what they want to accomplish in the future. But I don't even have that. I can't say what I would see myself doing even the year after I graduate.

Yet even though I am plan-less, I feel ready for anything.

Although college hasn't taught me much, it's the past few summers that have imparted more important knowledge to me. I see now that Singapore is only where she is because her founders were willing to accept the unfair conditions of life in hope of a better one for their descendants. Those who rarely complained were prized employees who were eventually handed more responsibilities because of their hardworking spirit.

Times may have changed drastically but the values that create a strong and proud nation are still the same.

Being in Cape Cod, I've been exposed to a wealthy community that is also rich in Puritan history. Cape Cod may be halfway across the world from Singapore, but the same values brought the people where they are today.

The first people to arrive at this spot had to endure hardships that the average Joe today would most certainly buckle under. They were starved, tired, confused and homesick for their whole lives. But because of their great sacrifice and because some of them stuck it out and were determined to forge a life despite the circumstances, their descendants are now blessed to enjoy the fruits of generations of hard work by their forefathers.

I see now that a simple action or habit transfers not just to the next generation, but to the fourth, fifth and other generations.

So many of us now take our blessings for granted because our parents or grandparents have failed to make us understand the usefulness of hard work. And I cringe from using the word "meaning" instead of "usefulness" because at the end of the day, hard work and material wealth holds no meaning at all.

Leaving childhood to me is like waking up from a lovely dream. Not that life is a nightmare, but that the dream was so lovely that it made me not want to live in reality at all.

If I ever have a child, I don't care if the child grows up being a happy kid or not. All I care about is that the child understands that in this life, nobody will hand you anything for free, that compassion is the key; and the kid better have good manners or he/she is going to spend a lot of time in the doghouse.

Well I don't know...

I guess this is what you start thinking about when you have a day off and there is absolutely nothing to do but dread the sound of the alarm in the morning.

I told Tanya a few days ago that I feel as if I've been living in a bubble for a long time and today I felt it even more than ever before. I wonder how my grandmothers are doing. I thought about the last time that I hung out with them and it was a long time ago.

Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm becoming the person that God wants me to be, but I trust that he's already putting the tracks in place.
Life has been such a strange rollercoaster for me. Twenty years gone...

You know how as a child most of us have aspired to become something? Policeman, astronaut, teacher, doctor... I just wonder, what am I that good at that I can fall neatly into one of those molds? Can I just be a successful human being? Success...... I remember having to write an exam essay on that very topic. And until today I still stand firm in the belief that success is inside of you. But I don't feel very successful these days...



P.S.
I cut my hair about four days ago. And my favourite colour is no longer red. it's blue.

No comments: