Thursday, July 09, 2009

Drunk On Cape Cod Air

No description, picture, song or book can ever come close to what moonlight over Cape Cod Bay feels like. So I won't even attempt to retell the flood of happiness I experienced while lying under a blanket of stars, listening to the waves sweeping and breaking on the shore.

I suppose this is what it comes down to.

Throughout the day I slave away for a pay below minimum wage, only for these few hours of heaven that I'm allowed some evenings. Soon we will have to move to another island and there will be another kind of heaven; but for now I am determined to soak up as much salty bay air and to step in as much soft Cape sand as possible.

We really only have a week or so left here so if I want to sleep at the beach, I'll have to do it really soon.

I was tempted to do it tonight, but I went to the beach unprepared. It was 12 Celsius and slightly windy and I didn't even have socks on. Tomorrow I shall go armed with a blanket and socks. I will sleep under the stars and try to block out the brilliant moonlight with my hair over my eyes. My feet will hang over the lifeguard's chair, warm and snug in their pink socks and my trusty alarm clock (handphone) shall lie next to my ear, ready to sound at 0645.

I'd better go to bed now...

Adios, amigos y amigas!

No comments: