Monday, July 05, 2010

Busy Bee

It seems like such a long time ago that I touched this blog; the photos just keep piling up!

The past five days seemed really hectic, with the weekend ending on an exhausting note. I can't believe how quickly time flies. The weeks just roll by without mercy- the days fleeting like a cloud. I started organising my pictures at 1600 and it's already 2140!

I really hope my time management skills will have improved drastically when school swings around.

So anyways, on Saturday, I went with my Ah Gu to SAFTI for a run as usual. This week I ran 14 laps on the track, which is 5.6km.

Honestly, I've been really slacking hard with my training.
I still can't seem to get back into my schedule or retain any real motivation at all.

Perhaps it's because I'm too busy enjoying the holidaying at the moment?

I'm not sure... But what I do know is that my first race is coming up VERY SOON and if I don't start being serious about training, it's going to hurt VERY BADLY later.

Sigh.

So after running at SAFTI, I went over to my Ah Yee's (mom's younger sister) new house to help put on a fresh coat of paint.

I worked for the whole afternoon and together with my Ah Yee and her husband, we finished the whole house- all three storeys of it!

By the time we finished, I was so tired that I promptly fell asleep on the marble floor- all splayed out like a dog.

Happily, I didn't work for nothing. Ah Yee took us out for a sumptuous seafood spread at the Boon Lay Hawker Centre.

I gulped it all down like a wolf.
Because it just so happens that I am a seafood-loving wolf.
I can eat seafood for breakfast, lunch and dinner and not ever get sick of it!

After dinner, the eating did not stop.
My grandma went to the durian stall at Choa Chu Kang Central to hunt for bitter-tasting durians.

Then the loot was hauled home just in time for the Germany vs. Argentina game!

I've never really like watching football unless it was the World Cup. And from the very beginning, I was sure that Germany would propel herself at least to the semifinals.

Why?

Because as an athlete myself, even though I don't play football, I could see that the German team was much more fit and well-trained than the other teams. They were basically a notch above their counterparts. Their movements were quick, decisive and definitely not "Messi" like the Argentinians. They made Argentina look rather silly on the field- flying all over the place.

So actually the Germany vs. Argentina game was kind of boring. Because I already knew who was going to win. Hands down.

Hah.

Truly though, as my Ah Kim put it- you never know how the game is going to turn out, because the ball is round.

Yeah.

I went to bed with 20 mins left in the game because there was church the next morning.
And I didn't know that Argentina was going to get kicked in the butt so badly by the Germs!

4-0.

Kua kua kua.

As you can see, the above captions have nothing to do with the pictures. Which makes no significant difference anyway.

Poor Dolly is always being traumatised by me.

Such a pretty dog!

At church during the 1000 Chinese service, the pastor delivered a sermon well-addressed to my generation. It dealt with the Singaporean's obsession with wealth and status polluting his/her Christian life and bringing them further away from God.

The one idea that really stayed with me though, was the thought that there's no point in gathering wealth and status on this earth to glorify yourself; because when we face God on Judgement Day, all that wealth and status will mean nothing- only our life that we have lived for God will stand for anything.

God will look into our hearts for true "riches".
Not at what we've bought or hoarded in bank accounts.

It was a great message and I'm thankful to hear it.

After lunch with my mom's old friends, I went off with her best friend's family for some playground shenanigans at the Bt. Timah neighbourhood.

People grow up, but swings never get old.

After spending time feeding mosquitoes with my lovely sweet blood, we adjourned to the market at Jurong West for durians.

Jurong West always sells the best durians!

Sadly, the place was so crowded that no durian-purchasing could really take place.
We left empty-handed.

I then made a bee-line for Choa Chu Kang to get some rest before heading out again to the Singapore Botanic Gardens.

There was a free performance at 1800 by the Singapore Chinese Orchestra.
Who in their right minds would pass up a free orchestra performance?

Ok, granted, the performance wasn't dazzling.
But combined with cloudy weather and fresh green surroundings, the total added effect was quite worth the $13 taxi fare.

Plus, I had two companions to keep me entertained.

After dinner, my Ah Gu out of his great great heart and generosity, brought me for a fantastic pepper crabby experience at Farmart.

I'm not sure the price matched the quality, but it was delicious nonetheless.

Fast forward sleeping with Dolly to this morning.

Went to IMM with Ah Kim (mother's oldest brother's wife) to shop at Daiso and Popular.
I emptied my wallet of approximately $90 today, but keep in mind that I'm stocking up for the years ahead!

After 2 hours in Daiso, we were famished.

Ichiban Sushi introduced to my stomach: the $14.90 Monday Bento deal!
What's included is a bowl of veggies, tofu and unagi stewing in the big pot, miso soup, chawanmushi, rice, a few slices of salmon sashimi and two slices of orange- one of which I dropped on the floor.

Or rather, it flew out of my hands onto the floor.

Naughty orange slice!
After IMM, I piaked at home all day!

That's about all.

I don't feel like going out tomorrow or the day after.
I'm just a little exhausted mentally.
Whatever happened to resting on weekends? I really don't know...

I've been so busy with life that perhaps I've unwittingly given God the backseat. I realised this as I sat in church this Sunday. As the hymns rang out in the great hall, I understood how much I missed hearing His voice and feeling His touch throughout the day and night.

How faithful He is! That even when we wander away from Him, He sets His ways and thoughts upon our hearts and gently prods us back onto the right path.
May Your light always shine upon my path Holy Spirit, and lead me away from this world towards Your truth and kingdom!

Amen.









P.S.

The meaning of "PIAKED".

PIAKED is the past tense of the word PIAK.
PIAK is the sound produced when something like bird poop falls on the floor from up high.
To PIAK means to fall onto something and just lie there without moving for some time.
Therefore, to PIAK at home is to fall lifelessly onto the bed or some sleeping surface and just lie there for a time without any movement or signs of life.

Feel free to use my created word.

Together, we can make Singlish happen!
Yesh!

No comments: