Saturday, January 08, 2011

Trevor's Place & Palo Mino

You know you're a bum when you've totally missed a missions trip because you overslept and didn't hear the alarm ring.

I was that bum on Friday morning.

We (my young adults' group from church- C.L.I.M.B.) were supposed to go to Philadelphia this morning to help out at a shelter called Trevor's Place. They are an organisation currently hosting twenty one families in a little building and provide food and shelter as well as job rehabilitation programs to the homeless.

As a winter break missions trip, our pastor's wife, Dorie, picked Trevor's Place because she'd been there a few years ago and saw an opportunity for helping out. Dorie had already called them in advance to ask what we could possibly help out with and they simply asked for volunteers to clean up and organise the janitor's closet.

Regrettably, I did not get to join the crew while they worked in the janitor's closet, because I only got there after they had finished all the work. Instead, by the time I reached Trevor's Place, they were about to eat the lunch that the cook had provided.

After we left Trevor's Place, we headed to Reading Terminal Market in Center City Philadelphia for more bites.

Inside is a maze of food stores.

With sections dedicated to produce. It reminded me, in a bittersweet way, of the farmer's market in Seattle. I miss Seattle.

I had rice with gator gumbo (that would be gator as in alliGATOR), cornbread and home-brewed rootbeer from a nice little Cajun stall. Mmmm southern food isn't called "comfort food" for nothing!

On the way back to church, Matt fell asleep in the passenger seat and didn't even wake up when Dorie put snowballs all around his neck. We were all dying in silent laughter watching him sleep like a baby.

Winter is nice, snow is nice... But I am looking forward to longer daylight hours. Because I got up so late today, it felt like the sunlight only lasted about four hours for me. Before 18:00 swung around it was already dark.

Something nice happened today though. Dorie gave me their acoustic guitar because nobody in the family has touched it for years. I am SOOOOO happy because I'd wanted to play around on one for the longest time! I am going to call my classical "Palo" and the acoustic "Mino" so that together, they are "Palomino"! Just like my favourite colour horses.

Yay!

Ok sleepytime.

No comments: