Monday, June 13, 2011

Six Flags, Challenger Baseball & Inception

WHAT A WEEKEND!

I should be in bed right now, catching some Z's before this upcoming week starts, but I decided not to procrastinate blogging about this weekend instead.

On Saturday, I went to Six Flags with some trackies and we were basically there from noon till night when the park closed.

Our very first ride was the awesome Kingda Ka- which goes 128mph, straight up and straight down. Two people in our group had never been on it before and were really freaked out just looking at the coaster while we were waiting in line.

Fortunately, they survived the ride.

The rest of the day was just spent going from coaster to coaster to coaster.

At the end of it all, we were so tired that we just crashed on the way home. "Crashed" meaning "fell asleep" of course.

To everybody's delight, Rob's wonderful mother cooked us a nice hot meal and we got to fill our empty bellies with hot wings, pasta and marinated cucumber slices.

Food always tastes better when you're hungry!

I barely got any sleep last night because by the time I got home, it was pretty late and I had to get up early this morning for church.

After church today, I went with our young adult's group, C.L.I.M.B. to help out at an event called Challenger Baseball. We were there to play alongside disabled children who would normally not be able to play a regular game of baseball.

The kid that Steph and I got assigned to was such a cutie. I was really impressed with his attention span actually. At his age, I would not have been as calm as he was on the field. Instead of watching the pitcher, I would probably be running around, messing up other people's game.

Yet he was able to stand there and play despite the hordes of gnats and sandflies buzzing around our heads.

I, on the other hand, was whipping my ponytail back and forth like a horse's tail- trying to sweep all the flies out of my face.


Needless to say, we all had a blast.

I actually really enjoyed watching all the kids play because it was just such a positive environment to be in. All the adults were encouraging, caring and loving. If all kids had parents like those kids had, this world would be such an amazing place!

After Challenger Baseball, I headed to Steph's place so we could watch the movie "Inception" together in the basement.

Got there just in time to watch a beautiful sun setting in the horizon.

I really really love C.L.I.M.B. activities and wish we could do something fun like this movie night everyday.

I know I said this before, but being around Christians is such a different environment- in a good way.

While we were in Six Flags, I'd actually noticed many people walking around with Christian T-shirts on. I started to think it was really odd (but SO COOL) when I heard a rollercoaster-full of people humming a MercyMe song together.

I saw the lady standing next to us in line wearing a Star 99.1 T-shirt and so I asked her about it since I listen to that Christian radio station too. It turned out that there was actually a Star 99.1 event- a MercyMe concert, happening in Six Flags on Saturday!

I was like: whhaaaaaattttt??? COOOOLLLL!!!!!

I had heard about this event on the radio but never really thought about it since I was sure I wasn't going to be going to Six Flags on that weekend anyway. But there I was, in Six Flags, on the same day as the concert!

Sadly, none of my trackie pals wanted to watch the concert at all. Not even for five minutes. They just weren't a whole lot interested in the Jesus thing I guess. But no matter, they will be someday! I believe in the transforming power of the Holy Spirit :)

When I found out the reason why there were so many people wearing Christian T-shirts in Six Flags that day, it kind of gave me goosebumps for two reasons.

The first was that I had actually thought about wearing my C.L.I.M.B. T-shirt to Six Flags on Saturday but decided not to because I didn't want to make the trackies feel uncomfortable. I regretted that decision when I got to the park.

Secondly, I had prayed the night before for God to surround us when we were in Six Flags so that nothing would go wrong and that I would watch my thoughts, actions and behaviour around my teammates as an example for Christ.

Talk about surrounding us... Hahaha.

God really delivered!


1 comment:

borderline said...

awww thats so awesome! God really does show up at the right place and time when you most need Him!