Sunday, June 05, 2011

Swimming, Scrapple & Earthworm

Saturday turned out to be a beautiful day again with the weather bordering on perfection.

I got up early this morning to go for a swim, which justified this breakfast afterwards...

Pancakes!

With SCRAPPLE!

In case you've never heard of scrapple, Wikipedia describes it as "a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices". It is also "commonly considered an ethnic food of the Pennsylvania Dutch", who were immigrants from Germany to Pennsylvania during the 17th and 18th centuries.

Basically, it's Pennsylvania nosh and I dig it.

If I return to Singapore, this will definitely be one of the things that I'll miss dearly.

Guess what?

Koshka (my cat) just got this really weird habit starting yesterday. Well, I guess it's not that weird considering that she's a cat.

You know how cats like to kill and bring mice home to their owners' doorsteps? Well, Koshka started killing and bringing home, of all things, EARTHWORMS yesterday.

It's so disgusting.

This afternoon I had to remove a dried piece of dead earthworm from the deck that had been left there previously. I was kind of confused as to how that piece of worm had gotten there in the first place. Maybe a passing bird dropped it from its beak?

Then about an hour ago, I went downstairs to let the cat in. As I stepped outside in the dark, I felt something wet and sticky squelch under my bare foot. At first, I thought it was poop or vomit, but when I turned the lights on, I noticed a piece of something slimy off to the side... and it was MOVING!

Upon closer inspection, I almost hurled.

I could see the earthworm's guts. It was obviously going to die because only an inch of it was left.

I really hope Koshka stops this disgusting habit. Ugh!


No comments: