Monday, March 26, 2012

Being Late Is Stealing

In the past ten years or so, I've definitely gotten a reputation as a person who's always late. Whether meeting friends, going to class, going to my own GRADUATION CEREMONY, I would always be anywhere between fifteen to sixty minutes late. (I was an hour late for graduation and I ended up missing the part where I had to go receive my Honours award)

Today, I was almost an hour late to work.

I'm not proud of it, and definitely not trying to show off how terribly irresponsible I can be when it comes to respecting other people's time.

Believe it or not, there once was a time when I would always be early.
No point recalling that now I guess... That was almost ten years ago.

The thing is, we often think of "thieves" as people who rob banks, steal cars, break into houses or pick pockets. But what about the oh-so-innocent person who comes in late? What I'm essentially doing is stealing other people's time. 

Steal (verb): take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

Yeah... Even if I intend to return the minutes I took from someone else, I can't. What time I spend is gone gone gone. Never to return again!

Sigh.

I know this probably isn't the first time I'm writing about this topic, because it is an issue that keeps plaguing me. But I ain't giving up this fight!




No comments: