Saturday, March 03, 2012

Why Do We Have To Grow Up?


Why can't we all be like kids again?




"Want to be my friend?"

"Okay."

"Want my candy?"

"Okay. Want my cookies?"

*Nods*




Things were so uncomplicated when we were little children. If we didn't like something, we'd wrinkle our noses and say it outright. If we did want something, we weren't afraid of being judged. We'd just go for it, mind, body and soul- fixated, captured, enthralled.

Fast forward twenty or so years and I feel like I can never really speak my mind half the time. Gotta be diplomatic.

The difference between grownups and kids is that, when one smiles, you can be sure their minds are smiling too. When the other smiles, their minds might be thinking about something entirely different. 

Sometimes I catch myself analysing my little brothers' words as if they were adults. 

When they say they like something, I tend to ask "really?" as if I really needed to confirm it. Well of course they really like it. Why else would they say they liked it? To play mind games with me? They're not so sophisticated in social networking yet you see.

But adults, ah... That's a whole different story. 




"How are you?"

"I'm fine, thanks."

"Really?"

*Nods*



I don't believe it. 
I've had too many adults lie to my face recently. 


So next time you tell someone to GROW UP, think hard about that statement. 

Are you SURE you want them to grow up?



"Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.'" (Matthew 19:14)






No comments: