Friday, December 10, 2010

A Wasted Day Gone Forever

I'm sitting here on my green polka-dot rocking chair wondering where this day went.

First of all my thirteen hour sleep ended past 12 noon today, which left me with just 3.5 hours of daylight (it gets dark around 16:30 here).

During the past five hours, I haven't accomplished much besides putting away all the three suitcases of stuff I brought home from my dorm and 1.5 loads of laundry (1.5 more to go).

The rest of the time, I spent idling away in front of my laptop, trying to perfect Chris Tomlin's Take My Life and learn Paul Baloche's Here And Now on the guitar. They're really beautiful songs and everytime I pick up my guitar there's nothing else I really want to play. Unfortunately, I don't have the gift of singing so I often wish that Khadeen or someone else who could sing these songs were here with me.

I look out the window and it feels like it's three hours later at night than it really is.

This is when winter gets really depressing and it's really hard for me to do anything. I'm dreaming of warm places and familiar faces but they won't be coming round till next May.

My finals aren't until next Wednesday and I should be studying but... I can't.

*flops arms*

I feel glued to this chair, melting into its the green crevices with each passing minute. The washing machine has been beeping at me for a long time now but my skin feels like its been sewn and ironed into the soft padding of this chair.

Sigh.

Can I share a daydream?

I've been dreaming of a big warm meadow with knee high grass. I'm lying in the middle of it with my guitar and I've got a great voice to go with it too... lol. Ok just because I'd rather be alone in this meadow than to have another person sit there singing with me. I'm lying there on my back watching the stars smile at me. It's so nice and warm and the breeze is just right. Somewhere nearby Koshka is off hunting mice. And elsewhere behind I can smell a fresh mountain spring rushing by.

Maybe I haven't been able to move all day because I've been trying to live my daydream and avoiding all the real work that I'm supposed to be doing instead. This brings to mind the famous story of the ants and the grasshopper. I know technically it's winter now and the ants were working hard all summer but that's not the point. Point is, I know I'm gonna regret it later if I keep on fiddling around like the grasshopper.

Sigh...

Dear God I know You're not up there but here in my room shaking Your head at me. You've been watching me this whole time getting up, wandering the house listlessly, procrastinating on this armchair. I just ask Holy Spirit that You will jerk my mind and limbs into motion once more. There are only 4 working days left until my finals. Help me to work super hard right now so that I can truly enjoy Sunday when it comes. I ask for self-control, patience, discipline and perseverance during this challenging time. In Jesus's name I pray Amen.

Yea, truly, studying itself usually isn't the challenging thing for me. It's the discipline part that's the hardest...

Well now. I will put on some upbeat tobyMac music and get moving.

Badabum. Bye!

No comments: