Monday, September 03, 2012

China: 35 Memories

It's been over three weeks since my trip to China, and I know that if I don't blog about it now, I probably never will. 

I would like you to know, before we proceed, that it took an extraordinary amount of self-control to not post all 3,000+ photos that I took during those two weeks. (And I only took 3,000+ photos because my camera ran out of memory/battery several times) 

Instead, I tried to pick out the most memorable moments of the trip. 

Unfortunately, that didn't go too well either and I ended up missing my target of 10 photos by a long shot. 



Well, without much further ado, here we go...


Part One: Yanji (28th July - 4th Aug)


Memory #1: Visiting the border of North Korea and China, with Russia just a few kilometres to the north


I could not resist the pretty hanbok. Cost me 10 yuan to rent it for three minutes.


Memory #2: I was in dog-eating country 

Everywhere I turned, there was a restaurant selling dog meat. When we asked a local ahjussi on the street to recommend to us a restaurant, he recommended plenty of good places to eat dog meat.

T___T



Memory #3: Trying this new fruit called “小姑娘” (Little Ladies). 

It was like an odd mix between a grape, an apple and I stink at this taste description thing...... Well, it grows on you.


Memory #4: Morning run in the Yanbian University campus 

The campus is gorgeous, with temperatures around 18 Celsius in the morning.


Memory #5: Finally getting to drink makgeolli (Korean rice wine)!

The dangerous thing about makgeolli is that it's so non-alcoholic tasting that you could drink a whole bottle before it suddenly hits you. 

Don't worry, I didn't drink this whole bottle on my own lol! 



The makgeolli tastes ten times better when paired with amazing Korean food. 


Memory #6: Visiting friends in the village


I know I was born to live in a village.


Memory #7: The best tasting Korean food I have ever had in my entire life. 

Why? 

Homecooked- village style.

'Nuff said.


The ahjummas who spent a whole afternoon cooking. 

*Respect*


Memory #8: Playing like a kid again 


Memory #9: Visiting 长白山, an active volcano in the Northeast of China 


Check me out smiling at a crater that should erupt within the next 20 years.  


Memory #10: A last dinner in the Korean fast food chain Lotteria 


Memory #11: Beautiful blue skies for a goodbye to Yanji







Part Two: Chang Bai Shan (5th - 7th Aug)




Memory #12: Knowing what it feels like to have two older sisters nag at you 

Just kidding!

My spoken Chinese has been improving at a significant rate by this point, thanks to them.


Memory #13: Visiting the falls near 长白山 

Russian border right yonder.

Салют!


This crazy Chinese man jumps down the waterfall once or twice each day. 

He does it in his Speedos nonetheless.

If you want him to jump outside of his daily schedule, you can pay him up to $10k for a private performance. 

*respect* 


Memory #14: Visiting an underground forest by the volcano


The more tourists the merrier. 

Wait what?


Chipmunk!








Part Three: Beijing (8th - 12th Aug)




Memory #15: Visiting Annie's mother's cousin 
(I think that's how they're related...) 


We had dinner at 海底捞火锅 (Haidilao Hot Pot)

They're famous for ridiculously good customer service. 

Case in point: The waitresses noticed that we had longish hair and offered us girls rubber bands to tie our hair as we ate. 


Memory #16: Wandering around 后海公园 (Houhai park) early in the morning with my camera


Beijing smushed-faced dawg.

He is so gangster I can't even......





Memory #17: Viewing the entire Forbidden City from the top of 景山公园 (Jingshan Park)

Take note that prior to getting to the top of this hill, I had already been walking for 4 hours non-stop and climbed a few hills. 

There was definitely a Rocky moment in here.


Memory #17: The Forbidden City- not so forbidden anymore



Memory #18: Visiting the Old Summer Palace


Memory #19: Gangster Beijinger on the public bus


Memory #20: More flowers than my camera can handle






Memory #21: Strolling round 圆明园 (Yuanmingyuan) in the late afternoon 


What are giant Amazon lilies doing in Beijing?



I am Pocahontas and that is Grandmother Willow. 















Memory #22: Seeing the ruins in 圆明园 at dusk





Memory #23: Dinner with Annie's friends from her college days


Some delicious salad.


Some delicious omelette.


Stir-fried bamboo shoots.


Peking duck.


Fishy with biscuits.


Memory #24: Strolling down 南罗故巷 (Nan Luo Gu Xiang) with Annie in the morning.

This is one of Beijing's famous heritage-turned-hipster streets. Great for shopping, food and curiosity shops. 

One annoying thing though, is that cars often drive through this narrow street, even with pedestrian shoppers everywhere.


Memory #25: Visiting 北大 (Beijing University)


Memory #26: Skating round 清华 (Qinghua University)

The university campuses are so big, you'd have to walk for a whole day to cover the entire place. 


Memory #27: Taking an electric scooter ride round the hutongs





Memory #28: Meeting Chacha from an online forum for Beijing inline skaters


Memory #29: Skating at the Olympic Bird Nest Stadium




Skaters are always so laidback and friendly, no matter if they're in the U.S., Singapore or China. I love it!


Memory #30: Waving the wrong flag on Singapore's National Day 

On the Great Wall too. 



Memory #31: Walking around the hutong I lived in 


I thought I could never find anything better than Pinkberry, until I had Beijing sour milk. 


Comfort food.


Memory #32: Eating at a traditional hot pot restaurant with new skating friends



The pot's "chimney" cover can be adjusted for less or more heat.


Memory #33: Tiananmen Square in all its morning touristy glory




Memory #34: Saying goodbye to new friends




Memory #35: God uses his mighty orange highlighter on the sky







If I could summarise my whole China experience in three words, it'd be: 

Beautiful

Beautiful

Beautiful








I'll be back!





2 comments:

tetyana said...

beautiful!!!!!!! i wish i can go one day

Mindy said...

I think you will want to live there!