Monday, September 24, 2012

Food Weekend

HOHOHO!

This weekend has been all about food, and.... *drumroll*..... I DID NOT SKATE AT ALL.

HOHOHO!

*Self pat on back*


Speaking of hohohos... I randomly called Ms. Amanda Ho this past Saturday to go gaigai (walkaround) with me in Orchard. We wound up chillin in the new Korean cafe, Paris Baguette in Wisma Atria.

It's usually not too crowded here during the weekdays, but since we were there on a Saturday afternoon, almost all the tables were filled. 

The first time I'd heard about Paris Baguette was on Feecha when someone asked if the branch in Wisma Atria was open already. I noticed then that the old Din Tai Fung was gone and they were replacing it with this cafe. Curious, I went online to read about it and it turned out to be some famous Korean bakery. That explained the hype over its coming to Singapore. 


This was the first time I had tried food from the pastries side of the cafe. On the other side of the cafe, they sell sandwiches and cooked food, which was what I had tried before. And then on the third corner, I think they sell cakes. 

The pastries were nice but I still prefer Delifrance's fruit tarts. The round brown bread thing is something Amanda ordered and it turned out to be just a piece of bread without any kind of filling in it. The bread itself was nice though, kinda nutty, light, vanilla-y tasting. 

My favourite was definitely the sausage tart. Mmmm!!! Wish I had gotten two instead of one!


Yes, I look like just rolled out of bed.

But seriously, Paris Baguette is not cheap. For what you see in this picture, I paid about $20. Still cheaper than Starbucks upstairs though. 


The impromptu meetup with Manda on Saturday was followed by yet another impromptu meetup with Rache. 

We had dinner at the cheap cheap restaurant JustAcia, then went to watch the movie TED.

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY did I not watch previews about it first before agreeing to watch it? I thought TED was probably about T.E.D., you know, as in the conference "Technology, Entertainment and Design" (TED)! And even as the movie began and I saw a teddy bear, I did not know the movie was rated M18 until Rache told me.

Sigh.

I think my face felt a bit sore from grimacing and frowning throughout the whole entire movie. The whole thing was plain awkward and I just don't get most of that type of humour. Though, I must admit, that last screen about Taylor Lautner was purrrty funny.


Spent all day in church and House of Bread on Sunday before meeting Rhoda for dinner at Peperoni Pizzeria in Binjai Park.

Rhoda went to college with me in the US and it's really nice to have someone from all the way there here in Singapore as well! 

Check out our giant pizza. It covered almost 80% of our table. 

And no, we didn't manage to finish all of it. 

Note to self: must eat here with more than one person next time!



.......................................................



So my mom's birthday is coming up this week and I have no idea what to give her as a present. She never seems to like or use anything that I get her. 

And I'd say things are sort of normal with my mom right now. We're not arguing or in a fight or anything, but it's not like we're really talking to each other either. Guess it's just back to normal. I've never really interacted much with my mom since I was little anyway. 

When I am home and we do talk, it's more or less just small talk. If I try to tell her a bit more about my life, she just listens quietly (most times I can't tell that she's even listening). She doesn't say much about what's going on in her life either. But really, what's there to say anyway right? She's busy with household matters, blah blah blah, what's new?

For a mother, she feels about as distant to me as one of my random acquaintances on Facebook. 

Guess not everyone is meant to have that kind of close mother-daughter relationships!

I've decided not to expect too much from her or from my dad anymore. But I do know that if I ever become a parent, I wouldn't want my family to be like that. 

I know some of you can relate!




No comments: