Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thoughts Before Midnight

Everyday I am reminded about the fragility of my very self.

80 miles per hour in slashing rain at night with low visibility. One wrong move on the road and my life could end.

Bad grades, bad finances, bad everything- but I am joyful in the Lord. Because even in the worst of situations, I know I have His Love. And there is nothing more comforting than the knowledge that the One who created the heavens and placed the mountains where they are, cares for me.

And because of my beliefs, I am already starting to lose.

I am losing friends, money and all sorts of other things that used to be important to me.

But the funny thing is, I have gained so much more in return for losing. I have witnessed God's unfailing faithfulness in providing for my every need. Whether they were material needs such as food and clothes or money, he provided amply. He provided strength when I felt so mentally weak. When I lost all motivation (which was almost everyday), he gave me the will to push on. He gave me the confidence to walk through life as a loser and the patience to drive peacefully during rush hour. He gave me hope through hopeless situations and comfort in my darkest nights.

Everything in my life is getting more precarious.

I always imagined that life would get better as I grew older. I'd get a stable job, live a stable life, and enjoy a multitude of nice things alongside work. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore. But what the pastor said last night was true. God did not put me on this earth to be happy. Happiness is not the object of my existence, but rather, living for God is. And it is only by living according to God's will that we can attain lasting riches- true joy in the spirit.

It doesn't matter where I end up in the future. As long as I live for Christ, it is enough.

No comments: