Thursday, May 14, 2009

Your Love Sets Me Free

The charger for my laptop arrived yesterday, giving me the luxury of checking my email from home again.

During these two weeks of inconvenient computer use, I've regained the habit of reading incessantly and I'm not about to let it go. I'm not even interested in using the Internet that much anymore. I just feel like it's a waste of my time.

I'd rather go to the beach and read my "Anna Karenina".

It's strange.

I don't like shopping anymore; neither do I enjoy reading magazines. I was at a tanning salon yesterday waiting for my friend to get done and splayed out in front of me were piles of glossy magazines that I would've loved to pore over before.

But staring at those glamorous covers, all I could think about were the 14 year old models, the fake "fashion people" and just an endless list of not-nice things that magazines now remind me of.

I couldn't even bear to look at the covers without feeling like some sort of plastic hypocrite so I went back to "Anna Karenina".

Tolstoy is really a master in literature, and I find "Anna Karenina" to be one of his finest works. Instead of the usual guilty pleasures like "Confessions of a Shopaholic" or "He's Just Not That Into You" that girls so like to read before bedtime these days, "Anna Karenina" combines drama, philosophical thoughts, economic theory derivation, discussions on religion and various other aspects of life that people out of exasperation have more or less decided to ignore these days.

This book gives me great pleasure particularly through the character of Konstantin Levin, with whom I share a great number of musings. It was a very pleasant surprise to read about muddled thoughts that I've had for a long time in clearly-pieced sentences.

Am I a communist at heart? I decline to think so. Communism and Christianity may share certain traits, but the two are entirely different in many ways.

And like Levin, I am starting to really firmly grasp the necessity of connecting my actions with my speech and thoughts.

I'm in the process of being "de-hypocritised".

And getting closer to God every single day.

No comments: