Thursday, May 12, 2011

Gourmet Adventures & Missing Him

I've been really enjoying the perks of being an honours student at this school. While everyone else has to go to the noisy library to study, we've got the run of the honours house. I feel so accomplished just by sitting around all these smart people who are studying hard.

On an unrelated note, the azaleas are in full bloom on campus and my allergies are on overdrive.

On Tuesday, we went to Union City to have some Peruvian food.

Sol Chicken was the restaurant of choice.

This is sliced potatoes with some sort of egg paste on it. Soooo good! The sauce is really creamy in a non-dairy kind of way (sorry, I know that doesn't really make sense... haha) and complements the potatoes quite well.

This is an amazing mix of seafood with lemon juice sprinkled all over it. Tastes very refreshing. The sauce on the side actually reminded me of non-spicy "chin cha loh".

The main dish of fried plantains, rice, beef steak and eggs. My favourite were the fried plantains. Very nicely crisped and sweet!

Peruvian fried rice bears a striking resemblance to my mom's fried rice...............

And a Thank You mint to go!

Today, Danny treated me to Filippino food at Little Quiapo. I love this place! Lots of good times spent in that little restaurant. The food is amazing too. It's hard to find genuine-tasting food but this one cuts pretty close to the real thing.

Tapsilog- the usual. Rice, fried beef and eggs with vinegar on the side.

Yep. I've been spoiled these past two evenings.

In reality, I feel as if I've been spoiled more than these two evenings. I've been enjoying myself so much even between the pressures of track, school and graduation that I almost feel guilty for it. I feel like maybe I shouldn't be enjoying myself this much when I've got a lot of big things to think about you know?

But then when I'm in the moment, I just forget all my worries and can't help but thank God for all this wonderful frame of mind.

As I strolled home from studying in the cool midnight air, I began thinking about my tendency to drift further from God whenever life is going well. But whenever things aren't going well and I begin to panic, I run right back to God crying for help. Isn't that a shame? I should be close to God at all times shouldn't I?

I recalled the last time I felt really near to God- and it was indeed a time when I was going through some tough internal struggles. Compared to then, life right now is a beach and I just feel so........ nice.

Yet sometimes I can just feel my heart keep wandering away from Him. Even though I praise Him in my heart and pray at all times and stuff; but I miss leaning onto Jesus full-force, tear-stained and heart-broken.

Weird huh.

Not that I want trouble to fall upon me, but I just want to draw near to my best friend again.

I just want to get away from everyone and everything to sit quietly by a river. If only......

Sigh.

Every thought about Washington State sends the memory of fresh alpine air up my nostrils and I feel like crying.


2 comments:

Tetyana said...

i definitely know what you mean, about not leaning on God when things are going great...

i used to feel the same, but this time, when everything is going great, i'm leaning more on Him by thanking him every time i get that "nice" feeling... when i wake up in the morning and see the sun and i feel happy (which i didn't used to) i just thank Him a million times for those little "nice" feelings....

i think by praising Him we get close to Him too.. :)

TaLiA said...

What washington state? YA man summer hols are coming.. Im getting my visa and stuff together woohoo!!! lets hit the roads :P

Of course not forgetting to pray and plan our trip! if not it will be a failure