Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Midnight Thoughts About Discipline

I guess no matter how much I do not want to procrastinate, I will always still end up having to rush last minute papers; and it's always the longest papers that are the ones I leave the least time to write.

Currently I'm on page two of twenty pages and even though I have a rough idea of what I want to write, the words just won't come. I'm sure this is a familiar story for many of you who are still in school... Why is that?

Why is it that our particular generation has so much difficulty with discipline? Is it because our parents didn't instill it in us, or because of something else? Changing hormones? More people affected with ADD, ODD and (as Jay put it this past Sunday), ABC and LMNOP? Perhaps it is the way the school systems are structured- more flexibility and breathing space... Or simply the introduction of so many distracting technologies into our lives.

But at the end of the day, age old principles still stand. Discipline will never "go out of fashion" because it will always be an essential ingredient in the recipe for success. Discipline and self-control both are increasingly rare virtues these days- which makes me wonder what human society will look like in the following decades. Odds are, not very much better than now. In terms of material wealth or life expectancy and all other U.N. standard of living statistics, things may improve dramatically. However I feel that people will probably feel less spiritually fulfilled then, always searching for something to fill the emptiness inside... They may feel "happier", but never know the true meaning of joy. They may laugh or smile more but only because they've gotten better at suppressing the tears inside.

I don't know.

All I know is that the Bible predicts the time before Jesus' return to be one of tremendous failings in human character.

"People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy" (Timothy 3:2)

"They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord" (Jude 1:4)

This kind of makes me not want to have children...


No comments: