Saturday, February 07, 2009

Warm Weather Brings Warm Memories

I'm glad everybody got a good giggle out of my little Russian video. I plan to have more on the way so don't use up all that laughing gas just yet.

Kitty has gotten a very sweet habit of falling asleep next to my stomach under the covers. I feel her warm fuzzy presence the first thing in the morning when I wake up and it really helps.

The warm days are slowly coming back. Soon snow and frost will be a distant memory and the flies, mosquitoes and birds will come back here. I can almost smell the fresh crazy green of grass springing out from the dusty dead earth. I can already hear flowers jumping in their beds from excitement.

I am sitting at the edge of my seat, patiently and impatiently waiting for spring to wash away the memory of salt-covered roads.

My textbooks finally arrived from Amazon along with a long-awaited purchase. Yes- I splurged 14 bucks on a CD by America (whose song is playing right now), but blasting it the other day with cold wind in my hair made it all worth it.

Talking to people recently disgusts me.

I need to come back down to earth and stop judging people. Pray for me!

I am sitting here in my room and hearing noises outside...

Cars from far away.
People talking loudly in their houses down the street.

If I close my eyes, it almost feels as if I am back in a HDB flat in Singapore and the MRT is right down the street. I hear a noise and it reminds me of the kopitiam but I know it is something else.

Sometimes when home seems far away, all it really takes is some imagination and


Sentimental much?

You know, the funny thing is that it's not so much of missing Singapore...
Yes I miss buildings and nature, food, friends, memories, experiences. But at this point in my life, I cannot say honestly that Singapore is my "home". Nor can I say that America is my "home".

In a sense, I feel homeless.

I have such strong feelings of connections to Singapore, Pennsylvania, Washington, New Jersey, even China. So much so that I feel my heart divided.

What I miss is being with people whom I know care about me. A genuine warm fuzzy blanket of people that I used to have in all these places. I miss feeling a certain way in all these places. Whether it's rollerblading down east coast park, lying on my parents' deck in the summer sunshine, sitting next to the fire in the mountains, running in Bayonne park, living in my ancestral village...


Places. People.


As we travel and leave them behind, we leave pieces of us behind.

I'm just pissed that Singapore Day is in London this year.

No comments: