Monday, October 18, 2010

Messed Up Sunday

Hello.

Sunday was a very busy day for me.

Now before you go on to read this post and think that I had a very fun day indeed, let me just say that I felt really disappointed in myself at the end.

Why?

Because I missed church on Sunday due to my careless time-keeping. I thought it was ok to go out after the cross country meet in the morning and still make it in time for church in the evening. I should have listened to that little voice inside of me saying "don't push it, the seventh day is God's holy day!"

But I kept saying "but". "But the weather is so gorgeous", "But it'll be the last beautiful day out!" "But I don't feel like sitting in the dorm all afternoon"...

And so... well I'll narrate the days events.


Temperatures were hovering around 10 Celsius on Sunday morning as we left for the cross country meet in Queens, New York.


The boys ran their 6km race first.


Then us ladies had to go to the starting line at 10:30. We were all freezing and my fingers were numb from the wind.

But we had to complete our 4km race somehow.

It turned out to be a great race. I really gave it my all and felt very happy with the end result.

While on the way back to school, I started getting the itch to go out. I really didn't want to be indoors all afternoon as the temperatures were rising to 20 Celsius and the sky looked lovely.


So I dragged a bunch of track teammates out to Central Park for a hang out session at the Great Lawn.

The Great Lawn is basically a big field of grass where people can come to lie out in the open. Mostly families and couples go to relax or play frisbee or football.


You're not allowed to honk in most of New York City. This is their effort in reducing noise pollution. Looks like Singapore isn't the only "fine city"!


Found an awesome tree on the way to the Great Lawn.


Everybody just standing around.


After *gasp* THREE hours of travelling, we FINALLY get to where we wanted to go!

It took three hours because of many unexpected delays along the way. It was really supposed to only take us one hour to get to Central Park...


Lying in the grass, looking at my tights which match the sky.


Telly and Natalia on their phones. As always.


Some of us played frisbee.


Others just lay around.


Whoopee!


We only stayed there for 45 minutes. By then, temperatures had began to fall again and I needed to leave at 17:00 to get to church at 18:30.


However, miserable luck ensured that I never got to church.

The E train was rescheduled and we waited 20 minutes until we realised that it would never come.

So we had to wait for another train instead and got off at Canal Street.


From Canal Street, we had to walk another 15 minutes to World Trade Center to take the PATH train into New Jersey.


So by the time we got back to school, it was already 18:45.

Honestly, I had a lot of fun hanging out with the people that I see everyday at practice but never get to mingle with outside of the track.

But, I MISSED CHURCH!

And instead of resting, I walked all over New York City and came home with sore legs after an already tiring morning at the meet.

Somehow, I feel guilty too because I thought to myself that God would surely forgive me this time.

But isn't that belittling His commandment?

I know we are not saved by keeping God's commandments alone but by faith. Yet God also calls us who are born of His Spirit to live lives of holiness, shining as examples in this world of darkness.

What kind of example was I setting for my teammates by missing church and hanging out with them?

:(

I guess as a person who's not very good at keeping time and following schedules, I shouldn't play with God's holy time since I'd probably mess it all up.

I should really really dedicate all of Sabbath to God, not just one third of it.

I don't want to drift away from you Lord! Help me stay close by Your side. I'm sorry for messing with the precious rest day that you have commanded me to keep. Help me to do Your will in Your time at all times!


No comments: