Friday, October 08, 2010

Metropolitan Championships

Today dawned fair and bright.

We had to run at the Metropolitan Championships in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx, New York again.

Van Cortlandt Park is probably the course where we raced the most times for cross country over the past four years. Every year, we have at least 3 races out of 6 here. As a result, Van Cortlandt holds a very special place in our hearts.

Well, at least it does in mine.

Today however, was the very last time the seniors raced Van Cortlandt in the St. Peter's uniform.

At the beginning, it felt like any other race. I couldn't really think of anything else besides completing the task at hand.

However as the finish line came in sight, a bittersweet feeling came over me. I was happy for the throbbing pain to be over soon, yet I didn't really want it to end. I couldn't believe this was it!

I'm sure there will be races in the future that I may run in Van Cortlandt Park, but it will never have the same atmosphere as now.

Rosita who graduated last year came to visit us at the meet and even she said that she missed racing with the team.

Another sub-chapter in my life seems to be over, even though there are still three weeks left in the season.

How time flies!

How unpredictable life is.

Six years ago I did not even hear of St. Peter's College, nor did I think I would ever be on a track team.

And now, here I am, watching all these things come and go, leaving me changed forever...





P.S.

I absent-mindedly left my running shoes with insoles in them at Van Cortlandt. It seems they're lost forever...

They were the same pair of shoes that I used since freshman year and I refused to throw them out or use my new shoes because of nostalgic attachment.

But I guess circumstances have now forced me to use the new shoes sitting in my closet.

I'm upset about losing the insoles though. They weren't cheap and I really need them to support my feet!

Sigh.

Guess I'll have to buy new insoles tomorrow...

No comments: