Sunday, June 07, 2009

Buried Things

Last night after work, I attempted to spend a night in my car. I figured that if it worked out, the possibility of spending half a year in my car and saving money on rent that way wouldn't be too far off. However within two minutes of covering my windows with blankets and duct tape (to prevent people from looking at me while sleeping), I realised that no way in heck was this car-sleeping thing going to work.

That was at 0000 midnight. By 0200, not only was I highly uncomfortable and drifting in and out of sleep, my legs were also hurting intensely from the crazy amount of walking and lifting I had to do working throughout the day. Finally, after being scared shitless by random spanish people yelling around my car, I tore the blankets off the windows and parked on the opposite side of the road.

0345... Time was passing like a snail trying to cross the road and the temperature was also steadily dropping and I had forgotten to bring my warm sweats with me. The flimsy blankets were barely enough to cover my legs and my arms. I used a beach towel as my pillow and the thinnest blanket to cover my eyes.

Although I fell asleep from sheer exhaustion afterwards, it was a half-hearted kind of non-restful sleep. First of all, in a Honda Civic, there isn't much space to put all 175cm of me. I settled on sleeping in the driver's seat with the back pulled down and my legs resting on a volleyball so that I wasn't sloped too much. Yet in a few minutes, I felt as though all the blood in my head had drained into my feet and it was a very strange and cramped feeling.

0500, I get up as usual with an intense urge to pee. However I didn't want to call my ex up and ask to use the bathroom because I know he got home really late and barely had a few hours to sleep like myself (will explain further on). I decided to try to fall asleep again and to hold it for two more hours.

0700 sharp, I'm awake and ready to pee with a vengeance. I glance at the sky and it is bright already. I call my ex at 0705 and he gets ready in 30 minutes to let me in.

Ok now I'll explain why he's in my place and why I had to sleep in the car.

1) I am subletting the apartment to him since my lease ends in August and I won't be in NJ for the whole of summer anyway. He is the only person I'd trust to keep the apartment and who was willing to just live there for the summer. Helps with the rent.

2) I worked all day Saturday until about 2300 and didn't want to drive 2 hours back to PA since I already had a tendency to fall asleep at the wheel in the daytime.

3) Don't think spending the night in my place where he lived now was a very good idea. It seemed a little awkward to my mind.

4) I still had some boxes left at my place that I needed to pick up.

5) Church on Sunday was right across from my place at 1030.

Summer is always such a confusing time for me...... Always the conflict between what I want to do, what I need to do and what I can do.




P.S.
I just saw my first firefly of the summer!!!!!!

No comments: