Friday, June 12, 2009

A Nice Friday

Somebody went exploring on her own today. She drove an hour to the nearest bank to run some errands, then decided to take some scenic route instead of the convenient highway home.
The scenic route ended up winding through someplace really pretty so I parked my car and took a walk. The area was still a little soggy from a whole week of constant rain. The ground smelled kind of decomposed and fresh at the same time as a result; no wonder since I saw maggot-infested goose droppings everywhere.
Well well well... The weatherman is a liar. First he said rain was going to come today. Then this morning it said it was going to be cloudy (the picture showed grey clouds) and temperatures were supposed to be in the mid-20's Celsius-wise.
But where was the rain? It was very hot too and all the mosquitoes were having some sort of fiesta where the main course was Mindy. Not surprisingly, since I was the only person walking around in shorts and a tank top. Everyone else was either zooming over the bridge in their little sports cars or just somewhere else. The suburbs have a tendency to be secluded.
I also got really awkward tan lines from the sun shining on me through the sunroof and the left side of the window but I'll probably lose it since rain is forecasted till the end of this week...

The sound of the river was very calming so I just stood there listening and watching the little birdies swoop and glide over its rushing surface. As I leaned over the railings to catch a glimpse of the brown water below, I realised that some cars were probably honking at me because they thought I was going to jump or something.

But I didn't, so they can all relax. Plus, the bridge is camera-monitored. Not that the cameras have any way of stopping a person from jumping if they really wanted to.
I love Pennsylvanian turtles. They remind me of the tortoises at MacRitchie in Singapore. I used to catch those and drag them up the shore, only to watch them crawl back slowly later.

And I used to call the brown canal waters in Singapore "Milo" (a kind of chocolate drink). I thought it was so damned funny at the time. Anyway, I love dropping by random towns and seeing random people, places and things. And actually, I like doing it alone.

Because when you're alone, there isn't anybody there to interrupt your thoughts or your observations. I can stand and stare at the sky as long as I want without someone complaining that we should move on, or that it's too hot, or that there are too many mosquitoes, etc...

But of course companionship is sorely missed when I sit by the river and could use a buddy for a little random chitchat.

And there's always my cellphone for that.

:)

No comments: