Monday, September 06, 2010

Sunday & Peddler's Village

This past Sunday at church, we had a combined service due to the Labor Day holiday so there weren't any classes after the congregation. As we entered the sanctuary, we were each given a penny along with the paper program.


The sermon shared by the pastor was titled "The Sanctified Life- 'Do you have any change?'". Which explains why we were each given a penny. The answer is YES! We all have "change"!


The entire sermon was so essential and powerful that I thought I absolutely must blog about it.


Forgive me if I tend to jump around a bit...


The first message that stood out was actually a simple commentary made before the offerings. The person up front said that Labor Day signals the starting of school for many kids, new beginnings, transition from summer into fall... As we enter new places and meet new people, we may try to be like everyone else- whether it is a person we like, a person we admire on TV or just a friend we have in school. But at the end of the day, we as Christians should remember that we don't have to be anybody else but the beloved of God, because that's who we are- God's people, whom He loves greatly!


Ok so moving on to the actual sermon... It was based on 1 Thessalonians 4:3-12.


The three main points made were that:


1) God is calling you to be holy, to act holy, because God is holy. (God's will is for your to be holy, so stay away from all sexual sin... God has called us to live holy lives, not impure lives. Therefore, anyone who refuses to live by these rules is not disobeying human teaching but is rejecting God, who gives His Holy Spirit to you. Verses 3, 7, 8)


2) God is teaching you to love people and is bringing people into your life who are a challenge to love to increase your capacity to love. The people you're trying to get out of your lives or ignore are put there for a purpose! If you're angry at someone, it's because you have anger in you. (But we don't need to write to you about the importance of loving each other, for God himself has taught you to love one another... even so, we urge you to love them even more. Verses 9, 10)


3) God is rewriting your perspective and values about what is really important in life. He is adding substance, real weight to your life, to give you an abundant life. (Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands... then people who are not Christians will respect the way you live, and you will not need to depend on others. Verses 11 & 12)


As I was sitting there listening, two exciting thoughts gradually came to me. The first was that the Holy Spirit was letting me know the reason for having more intense human-relationship problems. This reason being to teach me to love more abundantly.


The second thought was that the three points (call to holiness, learning to love, different perspective) were really three major stages in a Christian's life. It is, at least to me. At the end of the previous post What's Up Pennsylvania, I mentioned that I felt as if one season in my life were over and another was coming. Well, 2009 felt like one intense year of learning how to live a godly life and 2010 is starting to feel like an intense year of learning how to love. Both changes have definitely turned my perspectives and values in life upside down.


Let me get one thing straight though.


I am not saying that I am now completely holy. I still suffer from temptations all the time and fall into holes that I admittedly dig myself due to stubbornness and unwillingness to obey God. Therefore, the process of learning to walk in God's way has not ended yet even though I have overcome some behaviours in Christ. But in addition to the "holi-nisation" work that the Holy Spirit has begun in me, He is also now directing my focus towards having a loving spirit.


And I thought trying to live a God-fearing life was difficult!


Learning to love another person is so much worse... especially if the person is so aggravating and unloveable. It seems to go against the very fibre of my being. Every nerve and word in my mouth wants to revolt, but the Holy Spirit gives patience, understanding and grace in abundance.

I see now that all the times I wished I were far away from those who hurt me (whether intentionally or not), God was actually making my heart bigger and stronger. I was growing up! And I hope I continue to grow...


I cannot adequately describe what I have been going through. To detail every working of a supernatural God in concise words is a task for a better writer than me. I can only hope that whoever reads this interprets it in the purest sense possible and will not misunderstand my intentions.


The barriers I spot in the impending horizon of my life seem to be rising quickly. I won't lie, I am dreading something. I get into moods of anxiety and depression about what may or may not happen in the future. I find myself caught in a whirlwind of thoughts that carry me anywhere from being unemployed, starving to death, dying single, going to hell, losing all my friends, losing all my sanity and then... nothing.


And in the midst of all these voices there is always one that is calmly assuring me, "you're going to be just fine. You have always been fine even when the world was not fine."


And that one voice is the only voice I want to listen to right now, because it is true and it sounds SO GOOD!



....................................................................



Labour Day in the U.S. is held on the first Monday of September, so naturally, we had this Monday off. My parents didn't have to go to work and I didn't have classes or cross country practice.


Usually, American families celebrate this day of rest either by attending a parade or having barbecues. The latter is obviously more popular because nothing beats family and friends with food to go around.


I was actually looking forward to some sort of barbecue action on Monday but my parents decided to clean the house instead in preparation for a special guest.


Feeling antsy, I left the house and went to Peddler's Village, a good 35 minutes away.


Peddler's village is a quaint little tourist attraction which is fashioned after typical European-American villages in the 1800s.

The general crowd at Peddler's Village consists of upper-middle class old folks, small family units or young adult couples and occasionally, silly Singaporean girls.


Their stores carry wares that are typically European, with typical European prices as well. A small bunch of dried lavender flowers for 10USD! Ouch... That sounds a tad pricey for something that grows in the fields for free.


However there are numerous gift shops scattered in the vicinity which are not exhorbitant. Their vast collections of trinkets and things make for excellent browsing.


And that's what I do most at Peddler's Village. Browse.


Purchasing is a power beyond my reach as of now.


The grounds are well-maintained with manicured lawns and cheerful flower displays. It was nice to walk on a clean un-littered path for once.


Beautiful flowers everywhere.


Saw Dolly's (Nanny's Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) baby picture in a store, and missed her fluffiness terribly.


Natural landscaping.


Thanks to God for a bright sunny day made for walking and musing.

And now that I've shared it with you, I think it's time for bed.

Goodnight! :)

No comments: