Monday, September 20, 2010

West NY & XC Meet

Hurrow errayburday!

Before the blogging bug slips away, I decided that I HAD TO write down a bit of what's been going on over this past weekend.


Well before I talk about that, this is what I wore to school today.
The reason for this outfit being that I woke up a little late this morning and didn't feel like finding two pieces to wear (this is a one piece).

Had porridge with luncheon meat and cucumbers for lunch.


Oh yes, last night, I finally finished watching "Hotaru No Hikari 2"! I don't know whether or not to be happy about that since the drama ended on an interesting unfinished note.

The first Hotaru No Hikari was recommended to me by Cass back in 2008, I must have watched the whole series at least 7 times from front to back now. When I found out that there was a Hotaru No Hikari 2, I almost squealed in delight. To me, no other drama out there has such an adequate blend of comedy, romance, appropriateness & cuteness- all of which are important qualities in a drama to me.

The first Asian drama I ever watched was "Winter Sonata" and that was consequently followed by other Korean dramas where the good people were punished and the lovers never ended up together.

After that, I really hated watching dramas with sad endings or sequences that were way too miserable. Why would I want to watch something that would make me cry every five seconds?

Anyway, if you've never watched or *gasp* even heard of Hotaru No Hikari, go watch the first one, then the second one which is even more hilarious than its predecessor!


Now on to the weekend!

Saturday evening, I went with three other friends to West New York for a walk. West New York is not in New York City, but rather in New Jersey. It lies west of New York City, across the Hudson River; and that's why it's called "West New York". As you can see, the Jersey-side view is quite fantastic. You can see the whole of Manhattan stretching from Staten Island in the south to Upper Manhattan in the north.

We were all starving after a while, so we traipsed over to some Philly Cheesesteak restaurant for dinner. What's all this Philly stuff doing OUTSIDE of Philadelphia anyway?

Mikas & Shona.

Natalia & I.

I had my veggies on the side because that it would've felt a little strange to have veggies in my cheesesteak. Usually cheesesteaks just come with the meat and melted cheese.

The meal was a relatively good deal- a footlong (30cm?) bun with steak & cheese, your choice of veggies, fries & a drink for 9USD. Not bad at all considering that a smaller meal at Burger King would cost you almost 7USD.

The only weird thing was that this cheesesteak came in a nicely toasted Italian sort of bun, rather than the usual cheap soft buns. It was nice and crunchy but I rather missed the usual cheap buns. They would've been easier to swallow.

Ok and maybe I've been living under a rock for a really long time but I have never seen such cute little towelette packets before! Compare size to hand. So cute!!!

When you open it up, it unfolds into this transparent wet towel which smells like lemon-flavoured dishwashing liquid. Good for wiping the insides of my car!

Anyhow, it was a nice chilly Saturday for walking. The view of Manhattan at night is as stunning, if not more, than the one in the daytime.

Sunday dawned fair and warm. Just the right climate for a track meet at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx, New York. Took us about an hour to get there from school.

It was a smaller meet than usual, but the competition remained fierce nonetheless.

I filched this photo off Facebook.

Unfortunately, it's one of an NJIT runner running past me right before the finish line.

:(

The meet ended on a good note and high spirits. For the girls, it was the first 6km race of the season. Our first two races had been 5km races but the extra 1km didn't seem to faze us this time.

It's hard to imagine that already half of the cross country season has flown by and we only have about 5-6 weeks left before the indoor season starts. Excitement for the future always seem to be tinged with a sort of bittersweetness for the present. The present that will in time, become a past, a history...

Well melancholy thoughts aside, I have one 7-page paper due by Wednesday, a German exam to study for, 3 chapters of Russian, 2 novels to complete and a bunch of articles to read.

So..... Tooda-loodle-loo for now!

No comments: