Monday, August 16, 2010

1.5 Days Left in SG

The past week has been really hectic. I've already begun adjusting to the U.S. time so that the jetlag will not be too severe when I get to New York this Thursday. There's so much packing to do, so many last minute errands to run but not enough time. Not enough time even though I've had three months to spend in Singapore.


Here's a quick run through of the past few days' activities...

Met up with Cass and George for dinner at Takashimaya's Imperial Kitchen this past Thursday. As usual, I was about 1.5 hours late.

After that episode, I decided that my chronic lateness has gotten completely out-of-hand. I wanted to end my years of lateness and return to the old me who never liked to be late. Yes, i know what you're thinking. "Huh? You mean there was once in your life when you never liked to be late? Impossible!"


I'd think it were impossible too... It really has been at least 6-7 years since I gained this bad habit of being late. But now I think this nonsense has got to stop.


Friday, met up with Talia and Huimin for a night of fun. I am proud to announce that I was the first one to arrive and even had to wait for about 10 minutes before the second person arrived.

First, we went to Cedele's for dinner upon my Ah Kim's recommendation. After which, Talia and I headed to the Esplanade to watch a Singapore Symphonic Orchestra production of Tchaikovsky's "Pathetique". Huimin then joined us post-performance and we walked along the river from the Esplanade to Clarke Quay.


Met dear Lizzie whom I may not be able to see again for a long time.


:(


Made our way around Clarke Quay (Turkish ice-cream, Coffee House, Mulligan's, Hooters), then went home.


I had a fantastic time with the girlies even though the thought of leaving them soon made it all slightly bittersweet. I shall miss being able to enjoy things like them with them come winter time.



Dinner with my aunts at Jurong Point's Kuishin-bo today.


My Ah Yee.


Japanese buffet.


Ate so much that I felt like exploding.


Ah Kim.


Dessert!


Thanks to Xiao Yee who organised this dinner.


In about a day and a half I will be on a plane flying back to JFK airport in New York. Luckily for me, my parents decided to take the week off and drive 2 hours from home to come pick me up from the airport. We had originally planned to go to the beach right after I land in the morning, but the weathermen are predicting thunderstorms throughout that week. So sad!


So just like that, three months flew by.


To recap, I've gone to Tioman, Penang, Bali and KL during this trip. I've taken five neoprints, met up with 50% of the people I wanted to meet up with, bought new rollerblade wheels, replenished my empty wardrobe, bought enough stationery to last 2 years, went to the Zoo, saw the NDP rehearsal, Sentosa, Hort Park, MacRitchie, Bt. Batok, Xiao Guilin, Bt. Timah Hill, Orchard Road, Bugis, Katong, EAST COAST PARK, The Esplanade, CBD, Clarke Quay, Thompson Plaza, Toa Payoh, Ang Mo Kio, Bishan, Jurong East, Clementi, Singapore Sports School, Singapore Swimming Club, Farmart, Turf City... I surfed for the first time in my life, ate lots of durians and laksa, scouted all the new malls in Orchard Road and got my first manicure in years.


But most importantly, I've learnt a few important lessons this summer.


1) Choose your friends wisely, because bad company corrupts good character.
2) God has his own place and timing which always works out for the good of those who love Him.
3) You need to live in the world but not be of this world.
4) Jesus is the only son of God who has never sinned, but every son of God will go through suffering.
5) No matter what the future holds, our destination in Christ is fixed. We just need to hold on to God and always choose the rough and narrow road because it is usually the right thing to do.
6) Never act upon your own will, but always wait for the Lord's instruction.


I am so grateful to all the people who have directly and indirectly made this summer unforgetably awesome. You know who you are, relatives and friends... Thank you so so so much for everything. I really appreciate it, even though some of you may not realise that I do.

I think this trip has also given me a fresh outlook on life. I no longer feel so trapped in a kind of oppressive mood. I guess I seriously needed a long holiday. I think God knew this in advance and really has been looking out for me as He always has.


How I spent past summers

2007- Washington State.
2008- Singapore, Washington State.
2009- Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard.
2010- Singapore, Tioman, Penang, Bali, KL
2011- ???


The future is always a scary place isn't it? I can't even begin to imagine what God has in store for me...

No comments: