Tuesday, August 31, 2010

New York City With Telly

On Sunday, we had practice early in the morning... Doing repeats up a steep hill in Van Cortlandt Park, New York called "Cemetery Hill". Let's just say that it's not called Cemetery Hill for nothing.


I was so glad when the workout was over! Feeling giddy from the endorphins, I happily decided that a trip into the city was in order.



Only Telly (far right) could come with. Gigi and Mel decided to head to Newport Mall instead to shop for running outfits.



Haha love the expression on the lady to the left.


Finally arriving in NYC!!! It's been a while...



Telly and I got off the PATH, looked at each other and squealed. The song "Empire State of Mind" by Alicia Keys also started playing in our heads.



First step out from the underground at 33rd Street and everything just seems a bit crazy. People everywhere, noise, cars, people, coming in from every direction.


Nevertheless, it was a gorgeous HOT day and there were plenty of people just hanging out in the city.


Wandered through Little Korea; but there wasn't anything interesting besides the restaurants.


Walked south downtown and chanced upon this crazy deal. 4o postcards for 1USD! I couldn't believe my eyes... But it turned out to be a real deal. However, the true price for 40 postcards was really 1.69USD instead. 70% of it is tax! That's just nuts.


We didn't have a specific destination in mind that day, so we just strolled along the street.


Passed by some pretty buildings. Had to snap a picture of it, naturally.


Another pretty old building.


Definitely needed our shades on. Weatherman said it was 34 Celsius under the scorching sun.


Got to the 69th Armory and saw army tanks lined up on both sides of the street.


It turned out that there was a free art exhibition inside so Telly and I hopped on in, partly to escape the heat.


First exhibit that caught my attention was this crazy gooey plastic thing. I wonder how they're gonna clean this one up? As you can see, some of the pink sticky stuff ended up on the floor. I really wanted to touch it to see if it was as gooey as it looked but decided that it was too risky.


We definitely looked like tourists, snapping away furiously. But technically speaking, since we're from Jersey, we ARE tourists.

*Sidenote*

For those of you who don't know, our school is in Jersey City, New Jersey, which is across the Hudson River from New York City, New York. From our school into NYC, it only takes about 15 minutes by train.


Leaning Tower of DVDs!


Old television sets are actually really pretty. Telly and I mentioned how we wouldn't mind using one of these classic TVs again if they still sold those (but I'd prefer it in colour).


Walked through the rich neighbourhood of Gramercy. Apparently we passed by a famous West Coast rapper, Warren G. Telly recognised him but I had no idea who he was. I had never heard of him before in my life.


The houses were spectacular. Not often do you see brick houses covered from head to toe in climbers.


As I looked at the pretty houses, I wondered who lived in them and what they were doing. I wondered if they knew God and that He was watching over them.


Yay, a shaded street!


Sat down on a bench after walking approximately 2 miles (3.2 km). You can see why my feet weren't feeling all that great. It wasn't so much the slight heel, but the blisters on my little toe KILLED.


I like taking random shots of people.


After our little break, we walked further down to Union Square Park, hoping for a bookstand or two by its edges, but there weren't any.

And so that ended our little walk-adventure in NYC.

Later on, instead of going to church 2 hours away in Pennsylvania, I attended the evening service at the nearby Assembly of God in Bayonne, New Jersey. One incident that stood out in my mind was that when I was up at the altar praying, someone came and laid a blanket over my shoulders. At that point, I realised that it was for modesty reasons. I had gone to church that day in a tank top and my shoulders were uncovered. You could see my spaghetti straps as well.

At that point, I realised that even though it was really hot outside, it was still not ok to go to church in tank tops. I had forgotten how well people dressed on Sundays to go to church around here.
What a mistake! God, I am so sorry for offending You or anybody else in that congregation. Thank you for the reminder about the way I'm dressing. Help me to remember that I should always glorify You, whether in terms of dressing, speech or attitude.
:)


Yesterday was just a regular ol' day at school. Today looks to be the same. I have homework to do.

Yep. Bye!

No comments: