Tuesday, August 10, 2010

KL and Stuff

Ahh... It's so nice to have speedy Internet connection! Loading pictures is breezier and blogging seems much more enjoyable.


So here I am again, back at this writing and picture loading business. Just because it's as stress-relieving as... well I'm not even stressed at this moment so there's nothing to relieve.


I think it's called "itchy fingers".

Let's begin with this past Friday, 6th August.

That morning, I met up with Amanda and company at our dear secondary school- Tanjong Katong Secondary.

That girl was busy snapping pictures of every little corner of the school. She even took a picture of the food kitchens in the canteen!

I guess that's what you call a serious art student. Seeing art in everything...

I was just happy to be back in my favourite position in my favourite part of the school- the canteen!

Two Korean drama fanatics discussing something.... Probably Korean-related things.

An artsy shot of the art student.

It was pretty cool to visit TK again after all this time. It seems as though things are still the same but yet, better.

Standing in the hallways, I realised that I am actually really glad that I had the opportunity to attend this school and meet the teachers who in their own ways, inspired me throughout the years.

After TK, I headed to Bt. Timah Shopping Centre for a long overdue haircut and treatment. The journey from Katong to Bt. Timah took me a whopping 2 hours!

Wow... Can't wait for the MRT lines to be ready for the next time I'm back.

That night I went out with family at Owen's Seafood. It's located at Turf City.


The place is pretty neat in that you can look at your own seafood and pick it before seeing it all cooked on the table.


On weekdays, you get a 50% discount off the entire tab.


Had an awesome dinner. Yummy!


After dinner I suddenly felt like doing some Mooncake festival related stuff so we brought candles and lanterns to Seletar Reservoir.


Had a tonne of fun just lighting candles and playing with the melted wax. Felt like I was 7 again.


My sister was fully absorbed in making a long row of candles.


Didn't really feel like going home or to sleep that night. Just kept thinking about candles and lanterns and wax.



Saturday morning, my dad, his brother and I set off for KL, Malaysia.


Stopped by at some place upon my Si Per's (father's 4th oldest brother) recommendation. I had no idea if we were in Johor Bahru or not since I had fallen asleep on the way in and only woke up when we got there.


Supposedly this place had really good duck meat.


Well and I suppose they really do.

The duck was nice but I was still full from that day's gargantuan breakfast.


Passing through tolls on the way to KL


When I finally awoke in the car, we were approaching the city. And there in the skyline was the most interesting water tower I had ever seen in my life. A larger than life sized water tap!

Super idea!


Unfortunately, it was sort of cloudy that afternoon and you couldn't really see the KL towers clearly through the smog.


Went somewhere for dinner upon arriving in KL and saw this beautiful kitty cat. It wouldn't sit still so I only got this blurry picture before it got up to leave.


The place we ate at is this. They're sort of like Singapore's Boon Tong Kee I think...


Chicken rice.

Pooped from the car ride, I fell into a pretty deep sleep that night after walking to digest the food.


Next morning (we're on Sunday now) I had Sarawak Laksa for breakfast.


Greeted a friendly pregnant cat.


Went to church with the family.

The pastor talked that day about the role of the father. He explained that fathers would do well to take charge of the roles given to them by God. Those roles being priest (representing his family to God), preacher (representing God to his family) and king (governing his family under God's authority).

While that's all nice and relevant for the fathers present in the congregation, I was more interested in the part about women being like helpers and deacons in the church. The pastor said that women were to be like helpers to their husbands, but that the ultimate authority to govern the family should still belong to the man.

What he said was a rather unfamiliar concept to me since I've been brought up in a rather matriarchical family. But I'm glad that God is speaking to me on this issue. I'm sure that He has greater things in store for the future.


After church we walked over to some famous yong tau foo place for lunch.


I must say, the tau foo was really quite fantastic. My favourite part of it is really the just-right saltiness of the sauce and the taste of the tau pok skin. Not too oily and not too sweet.

Spent a good part of the day at Times Square in KL later. Shopping and whatnot. I got away with only two shirts and a wallet. Didn't go too crazy despite all eleven stories of discounts and sales.


Had zhi char at another famous place for dinner. As you can see, this KL trip has mostly been about eating good food.


The uncle who works at this restaurant still dresses as if he were in the 1950's. He even uses an abacus to do the accounting until this day!


Old school eating area.


My cousin and his fiancee.


Whenever you see lesser pictures of the things we're eating, that means that the food was quite fantastic and I ate it all before bothering to take any pictures.


Drove home to clearer skies and a nice view of the towers.


Breakfast Monday morning took us to the original yong tau foo place next to the one we ate at before. This was the store that started it all.


They still have people make everything by hand.

There are no pictures of the yong tau foo at all because their food was delicious and we gobbled it all up before I remembered to snap anything.


View of a typical street in Ampang, KL.


Rubbish strewn all over the street side.


By 14:00, we were in Johor Bahru on the way back to Singapore.


Again, food drew us to the restaurant Zhu Lin (Bamboo Forest) which is famous for its chicken.


The chicken was very nice and tender and tore away quite easily. Very delicious, but again, I was feeling a little too full.


Random picture of other people ordering in the restaurant.


Stopped by Four Seasons to get mooncakes and to use the toilet.


Saw an old milestone during the 2 hour jam on the JB side of customs. My dad said that there used to be milestones like that in Singapore as well.

My Si Per still refers to places in Singapore by milestones. He asked where Pei Hwa Primary was and my dad had to tell him that it was at the Bt. Timah 7 miles, not Jurong 10 miles.

That's a totally different generation for you.


Got back just in time to watch the NDP on TV.


It was slightly less awesome on TV but still great nonetheless.


Happy Birthday Singapore! May God bless this nation and grant her wise and God-fearing leaders in the generations to come. May the Lord bring peace and well-being to its people as they come to know the Lord and keep His ways. Amen!


I'll be back soon with a Bali post.


<3






No comments: