Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Nice Valentines' Day & Thesis Update

When I got on Facebook this morning, my newsfeed was already inundated with all sorts of Valentines' Day statuses- most of them well-wishes to friends and family. I suppose the people who had real valentines were too busy enjoying their special day to brag about it online, but there were also a lot of "I'm single and Valentines' Day is irrelevant to me" statuses.

I'd say that I fall into the latter category.

Besides, why should we celebrate Valentines' Day anyway? There's nothing in the Bible about it...

So while other people celebrated Valentines' in their own special ways, I went through today just like any other Monday.

Class, homework, Facebook, track practice, Bible study, dinner.

But to receive gifts on Valentines' Day as a single person, is pretty sweet I must say.

Okay the chocolate bar isn't a direct Valentines' Day gift but I'm including it because the packet is red... hehe.

I was really touched and lifted up by the thought that somebody thought about me today. But I felt a little guilty because I didn't get anything for those people. Valentines' Day is just not my thing.


I made dumplings for dinner today, but only got to ate it right before midnight. That's how busy I was today.

As for my thesis, I haven't even begun on Chapter I because I've got my regular school work to tackle in addition to it. There are about five weeks left to the deadline and I am trying not to be stressed out about it.

To be honest, I'm feeling rather skeptical about whether I'll even be able to finish it at all. It just seems so impossible right now... I really need a miracle! I need God's divine intervention.

And speaking of divine intervention, God is SO good!

Before Bible study today, I just wasn't feeling right. When I got to the library, there wasn't anybody there and I was about to cancel it when Tracey and Liz arrived. Then Gatto. Then Aigner. And later Khadeen.

We talked about a lot of things today. Topics ranged from death in the family to the necessity of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. Yet in spite of the slight buzz in my forehead, I prayed to God that He would speak through me and that I would walk in His Word and He answered my prayer.

As we were asking questions and going from topic to topic, God kept putting verses in my head. During the whole Bible study, I was very conscious of needing to actually read God's Word so that each time there was an issue that needed to be clarified, a Bible verse or phrase would come to mind and I would share it with everyone else.

Afterwards, while I was walking down the hill back to my dorm, it suddenly struck me how faithful God was to my prayer. I had actually asked that I would "speak as if with the very words of the Holy Spirit" and voila! It was like the words came pouring out of the very Bible itself.

I guess I felt really inadequate going into Bible study today because I'm just so tired physically. Also I feel as if I haven't been keeping my mouth or thoughts completely clean recently. So much so that even though I'd asked God for forgiveness, I still felt that deep down inside, I wasn't worthy of His presence.

But today, I felt lifted up again, all thanks to God's grace.

God's grace is truly sufficient for me. No matter how much good food I eat, how much beauty sleep I get or salsa music I dance to, nothing will ever come close to being as satisfying and fulfilling as God's presence.

He makes my heart sing and my very soul smile...



No comments: