Thursday, February 03, 2011

Some Work Done

So I FINALLY got started on my thesis. How anything even got written today was truly a miracle. I credit it all to the awesome workings of God.

First of all, by the time the school day was over, not only had I spent lunchtime on chatting with new friends instead of writing, I had also spent dinnertime at the cafeteria hanging out with trackies. After that, I went back to my apartment to shower and grab my laptop but I ended up spending more time with other friends at the cafe. Obviously no writing got done there. By the time I had returned to my apartment, I had only written ONE sentence (which didn't even make sense) and it was 22:00.

Fail. Right?

When I got back home I didn't feel like doing any homework, so I sat at my computer and tried to connect to the Internet but somehow it wouldn't let me even though the connection looked fine.

Since I couldn't get on the Internet and I was starting to feel very guilty about not writing anything, I decided to just work on my outline for a bit. I thought to myself: if it takes me fifteen minutes to type out a blogpost, it shouldn't take much time to type out everything that I already know I want to say right?

Turns out that fifteen minutes was a real uphill battle because even though I already know what I want to say, I just can't find the right words to make it sound intellectual enough. Each time my brain froze, I tried to get online again to relieve the mental tension through Facebook or Youtube. Yet again, I couldn't get online.

This went on for about an hour and a half.

I'm glad to say that because the Internet wasn't working, I managed to churn out a bit of the outline I intended to write. I wrote till I couldn't think anymore and tried to go online one last time.

Interestingly, I managed to connect without any problems.

The hand of God?

WHO ELSE? I did pray and ask Him to help me out a bit.


P.S.

I was feeling quite down this morning about spending yet another Chinese New Year away from my family, but Talia said that this could well be my last Chinese New Year in America. That's when it hit me...

Every mundane thing that I do today, I may not have the chance to ever do it again this time next year. It's only then when I'll probably look back with longing. Without looking at the greener grass on the other side, I should just appreciate all the mundane things in this mundane place I live. I know I will miss it all someday.




5 comments:

Alison said...

Haha. Sometimes I want to study overseas, if only to get away from Singapore's lifestyle and education for a little while. Even though I know it's not easy living in a dorm and washing your own laundry and cleaning the bathroom. But then again, it all boils down to money. & let's say I did go overseas, if I didn't go to a university that has a name Singaporean employers recognize straightaway then my degree probably becomes redundant anyway. -.-

Mindy said...

Why not try a semester overseas? If you like it you could apply for a transfer. Anyway, speaking of UNIVERSITIES THAT HAVE RECOGNISABLE NAMES... I don't attend one. But I trust that God will provide :)

borderline said...

proud of you for doing some work!! keep up the good job :) also, just remember that you do see your family in SG pretty often (compared to me for example) and you definitely talk to them a lot more often... i havent spent a new year with my family in Ukraine since 2000. be happy with the chances you do have to see your fam, it could be worse!

Mindy said...

I think that's what's worse... that I do keep in touch with them often, so I kinda miss them more than if I only talked to them once a year you know? :/ But oh well.. One can't have everything!

Alison said...

Mmm.. but first, I have to get over the hurdle of actually attaining a final GPA that can get me into a university. HAHA.