Monday, February 21, 2011

With You All Things Are Possible!

Just finished this movie that I started last night.


And through this incredible film, I have realised that this past weekend's race was just another lesson on how to be a Christian athlete. I'm humbled that even though this is my senior year, God still has so many things to teach me.

Last Thursday, I asked the question "why am I running, for what?"

I know the generic answer.

Everything I do, I do for the glory of God, right?

But the reality of what that meant hadn't really sunk in until I watched this movie. How could my insignificant races ever contribute to the glory of God?

Now, I know that I have to praise God whether I did well or badly. Despite all circumstances I have to trust that He will answer my prayers. I guess I'd forgotten that God is an awesome God, and that for Him, nothing is impossible.

"Jesus looked at them and said, 'With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.'" (Mark 10:27)

In all four years, I've never managed to come in the top 8 for the 5k race during MAAC Outdoors to score any points for the team. And all this time, I've always known this to be an impossible thing- for me to come in top 8. Have you seen the girls that I'm up against? It's foolishness to think I could outrun them.

My coach told me, my common sense confirms the fact. But I hate that it's a fact. It makes me not want to run at all sometimes.

So why have I never committed this to God before?

I guess watching the Eagles face the Giants in Facing the Giants, whether it's a fictional story or not, reminds me of the unchanging fact that God is an awesome God. And whatever doors God wants to open, He will open. And whatever doors God wants to shut, He will shut. And if God opens a door, it cannot be shut by any other.

"I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name" (Revelations 3:8).

I am starting to look at track with new eyes... Not necessarily starting this weekend, but ever since I decided to commit my track life to Christ.

And I see now that I need to honour God in all things. I need to respect my coach's authority, whether or not I agree with the way he does things. I also need to "get my fields ready for the rain that God will provide". That kind of preparation means giving my all and more at every practice. I can't expect to slack all season and then expect a miracle from God. And this goes for everything else in my life right now.

Whatever comes in track, school, life post-graduation, I will trust that God will be with me. All I have to do is remain in Him.

"Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me" (John 15:4).

I know God always honours His promises. I cannot count on people, money, health or even myself, but I can count on the Rock of my Salvation. His faithfulness lasts forever!

And to His glory, the Lord has truly begun to touch the hearts of people on the track team. Some are beginning to seek God and even if by rote, we all pray and praise His name before and after our races. I believe that even the most calloused heart, God can melt. It is beyond understanding how He is willing to use a useless person like me to reach out to others. That is the measure of His grace, that He trusts a stumbling bumbling human being like me with His Word. I am so grateful... Even though I am so weak and have so little faith in Him, He still answers when I call upon Him.

Dear God.... Thank You...



And at the end of it all, let me always praise God for what He has done in my life. Let me not seek my own glory, but acknowledge that without Jesus Christ, I have and am nothing. All my intellect, wisdom, strength and power are meaningless. Whatever I have was gifted to me from God- so I will use these gifts to praise Him and HIM ALONE!




No comments: