Saturday, September 03, 2011

Back In The U.S. of A

The house smelled woody when we first stepped in because the air vents have been turned off for a week now. Everything in my bedroom looks as if I'd never left. It's too quiet outside and very dark. It feels so weird! I'm relieved to be home but I feel like an alien again.

Speaking of feeling like an alien...

Once again I'm reminded that it's not easy being a Christian. Although I live in religion-tolerant countries and do not have to worry about being killed for believing in Jesus Christ, I still feel the weight of persecution from friends and family who think that I'm "too radical", "judgmental" or "too much into that Jesus-thing". It's funny that others view me as being judgmental even when I don't speak to them about their sin. Thing is, I'm too busy fighting my own to point yours out. Could it be however, that when I speak God's Word, the Holy Spirit is convicting you in your spirit?

It's also interesting that some may think I'm "too radical". If only you knew that I don't think I'm "radical" enough!

Luke 9:57-62 describes the cost of following Jesus. If after reading this, you're thinking to yourself how unreasonable Jesus is to not let someone bury his dead father before following Jesus, you're missing the point. What Jesus is saying is: stop giving me your "valid" excuses. I want ALL of you!

Again, Mark 12:30 says "Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength."

It doesn't say "love me when you stop sinning" or "love me after you graduate" or "love me after you've settled down, saved enough money and taken care of that health problem". Neither does Jesus ask for just your Sundays at church. He wants to be in EVERY area of your life!

And if that is what it means to be "radical", then where does that leave all the not-so-radical people who claim to be Christian but lead comfortable lives where Jesus is only present at certain times of the week?

I just read today in Francis Chan's book Crazy Love that the term "Lukewarm Christian" is an oxymoron. Why? Because if you're lukewarm, you're not a Christian. And if you're a Christian, you will never be lukewarm. See Revelations 3:15-18.

So now, even as I am hated and slandered by many, I will take heart "for just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows" (2 Corinthians 1:5)

All the friends I have ever gained apart from Christ, I count as loss. All the possessions I have will be here today and gone tomorrow. At the end of it all, who else will I have in heaven but You, Lord Jesus? Help me to bear this burden of feeling misunderstood, slandered, beaten and abused. I thank You and rejoice that You have counted me worthy of sharing in Your sufferings! Lift me up in my sadness and bless me with Your presence. In Jesus' Name I pray Amen!


No comments: