Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Burden Of Making & Keeping Friends

Friends come and go. We've all experienced this, and the world tells us that it's normal. But is it normal for a Christian? When Christ tells us to "love others as yourself", does that include the option of choosing who you want to love?

I think the answer is a clear NO.

From my recent posts, you may have gathered that I'm really struggling with some friendship issues.

The thing is, I've been getting hurt a lot lately by people whom I considered as good friends. Most of them are hurting me unintentionally, but it doesn't make the pain any less real, nor does it excuse their words and actions. However, I can't change them anymore than I can stop water from pouring over the Niagara Falls. The only person I can change in these situations is myself.

And I am so afraid of falling into the trap of avoiding and leaving them like I am prone to doing. I know that may not be what God wants me to do right now.

While I understand that in abusive relationships, staying and "riding it out" isn't usually the wise option, I just feel that shutting out other people isn't being a very good witness for Christ.

But oh it's so hard!

Every time I make the decision to love a person who has hurt me, I feel like I die a little bit inside. I literally feel my heart pulse with sadness as I choose to forget the things they have done or said. It pains me to realise that they may never understand the sacrifice I've given in my heart... Not for their sakes, but because of what Christ has done for me.

How can I not forgive when Jesus has so freely forgiven me- a disgusting worm?

Dear Lord Jesus, help me and sustain me in my time of need. Help me to focus on the love that you have spilled on the cross. Give me the strength to continue loving those who misunderstand me and hate me without reason. Forgive me my sins as I forgive those who sin against me. Let no bitterness or hate take root in my heart, but fill my spirit with Your love, compassion and peace. I want to see others as You see them. In Jesus' Name I ask all these, Amen!


No comments: