Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Living In Reverse


I just finished reading the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan. I especially loved the ending because it gave me a powerful reminder about living in reverse.

For example, when God tells us to love our enemies, how would that really look like in our lives? I mean, we as Christians talk about it all the time, but how exactly do we love our enemies?

Francis described our enemies as possibly people who annoy us, or people whom we try to avoid or people that we don't like talking to because they irritate us.

I used to think that I didn't have a lot of enemies. But the way Francis Chan describes "enemies", I realised that I actually do have a whole lotta them. People that I've just conveniently shoved out of my life because I didn't want to "deal with them".

Yet God commands us to LOVE them.

I honestly can't say when was the last time I did or said anything loving to these people without expecting anything in return. I certainly don't treat them the way I wish to be treated because I was busy "protecting" myself from the hurt I knew they would cause me. I try to justify the way I act by remembering all the times they've attacked me without cause. Wouldn't it make sense to NOT put yourself out there, only to get stepped on again? But that's definitely not acting in love. That's acting in fear.

Whew. Major heart check.

Jesus, give me the strength and courage to do exactly as You say! I'm sorry that I've slid back into my comfort zone and watered down Your Word. I am sorry for only caring about my needs and not the needs of others. Put Your love in my heart so that I may love those who hate me, who talk bad behind my back. Help me to translate that love into real actions so that I may treat them the way I know I want to be treated. Help me to remember that I am but dust of this earth- here today and gone tomorrow. Nobody owes me anything, but I owe You my life! Teach me to live my life washing the feet of others, humbled daily and taking up my cross. Take me out of my comfort zone and let Your Holy Spirit transform my life. In Jesus' Name I pray, let it be so, Amen!


No comments: