Sunday, March 08, 2009

Game Over

Here I am again on this lovely Sunday night.
During my absence from blogging, the weather has gone from this winter wonderland:
To this warm three day 20 Celsius spell that has managed to draw us little children out from our dark dusty houses into lovely brown backyards for tea. And donuts.
With the weather so warm yesterday, my itchy legs decided that sitting home would not do; so I went to NYC after the tea party with P. We walked for 15 minutes in the wrong direction, then another 40 minutes in the right direction. On the way, the sight and smell of familiar places brought back truckloads of memories. Places that I had gone to with people, things that I've done, emotions, feelings, thoughts... they all came swarming back at the speed of a subway train. The streets seemed especially cosy and romantic since for the first time in months, I could taste the faraway lingering whisper of summer. It's almost like a wet rainy grainy grass growing smell. I'm not sure where it came from, but I pictured millions of tree buds slowly pushing through their hidden winter homes at one nanometre per minute. I could almost hear the sound of earthworms digging in warm ecstasy. Which is a disgusting sound really, because I hate earthworms.
And speaking of earthworms,


So though the streets were ripe for people-watching due to a Saint Patrick's Day Parade, I couldn't help but appreciate being able to look upwards and see clear skies.

Looking at these birds made me feel so free and easy...... I JUST WANTED TO JUMP INTO SOMETHING! Like the Mediterranean Sea or a bowl of jellybeans or just something big and fluffy!
In due time, night fell but our appetites rose like an angry monster. We had reached St. Marks- which comes as no surprise since that place draws Asians like flies to a lighted lamp.
So as we walked around waiting for Des to show up for dinner, I stumbled upon THIS street and got REALLY excited.

Ukrainian name much???

The "Taras" and "ShevchenKO" pretty much gave it away. So this is for you, Tanya, all the Mariyas I know, Xristina, Nikita... and all you other Україна freaks.

And this too! I wish the store was open. I would've spent at least fifteen minutes in there poking my nose around.
But finally we made our way back to St. Marks again.
Dinner was in some asian fusion restaurant that reminded me of Singaporean foodcourts.
I had a bowl of "spicy" beef curry noodles and it was nice. That's all I have to say about it.
I went home and felt stupid about spending money, but at the same time feeling very happy that I had followed my heart and gone out in this gorgeous weather.
Now after a whole day out, I am just glad to be home again taking pictures of my darling while sitting on the toilet.

And though the weekend is over, I can't say that anything sucks- simply because I'm alive but for people like Mozart, Newton and Da Vinci, it's pretty much game over.

Let that sink in.

Adios papercrackers!

No comments: